All hazardous materials to be shipped from a KSU Department are required to have a Central Mail Services Information Sheet. The Central Mail Services Information Sheet will be returned to you in campus mail with the tracking number, weight and cost of the package that was mailed.
Before a chemical can be shipped, the following requirements must be met:
Requirements needed before shipping:
- Notify Central mail Services that you are going to be sending out a hazardous material.
- Fill out the Central Mail Services Information Sheet. Include chemical name and the amount of the chemical to be shipped.
- Hazardous materials must be accompanied with the current Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
- All hazardous and non-hazardous materials must have the chemical name and amount of the chemical to be shipped on the Central Mail Services Information Sheet. Use only metric measurements.
- Liquids example: Liters (L), Milliliters (ml) Note: Quarts (qt) Cups (C) etc, are not acceptable and will be returned.
- Solids example: Kilograms (kg), Grams (g) Note: Pounds (lb), Ounces (oz) etc, are not acceptable and will be returned.
- All packages must have a physical street address and a phone number for both the shipper and the recipient. P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable and will be returned.
- All chemicals need to be packed with the appropriate packaging material.
- Contents must be in an enclosed new clean cardboard box with the appropriate packing material. This box must have enough surface space for numerous chemical labels and must meet current IATA and DOT regulations. Appropriate packaging is available from Central Mail Services. Special packaging may need to be ordered so please contact Central Mail Services prior to shipping the packages. (You cannot re-use hazardous materials boxes. According to national shipping regulations, after a hazardous materials box has been used/shipped it can never be used as a shipping box again.)
If you have any questions or concerns or need supplies please contact Central Mail Services at 532-7751 or email@example.com.