As a precautionary measure against COVID-19, fall events will be held virtually. A complete list of events will be available soon.
Gain professional development and networking through attending our series of events planned for undergraduate and graduate students.
Some of the benefits of participating in these programs:
- low commitment – you chose when and what you want to be involved in
- great resume builders – leadership, public speaking, presenting, teamwork, volunteering, mentoring, outreach, service, commitment to diversity & inclusion
- professional development & career advice
- networking & community building – make your experience at K-State more enjoyable and successful through the help and support of your peers
Each semester, we offer:
- Career Chats - meet with and learn from women in various professional careers. These round-table luncheons include a 15-20 minute talk, followed by an informal Q&A session. Lunch is provided.
- Professional Development - these opportunities vary in topic and format, but are designed to provide participants with valuable skills and knowledge they can apply within their careers.
- Volunteer Opportunities - host a high school student interested in STEM majors and careers for the day! The student shadows you for a day, gaining a sense of what its like to be a K-State student.
- Employment Opportunities - serve as a mentor during Saturday Workshops or Summer Workshops. In either case, mentors guide middle- or high-school students through series of workshops hosted by K-State Faculty and staff.
- KAWSE Ambassadors - the KAWSE Ambassadors is a student organization focused on visiting local high schools and encouraging girls to pursue careers in STEM. The group meets bi-weekly throughout the semester.
Is there a topic or event that would be useful to you? We are always looking for suggestions for Career Chat or Professional Development sessions. Contact us at any time via email at email@example.com.
Fall 2020 Events - More Coming Soon!
Networking and Professional Development Opportunities
Brown Bag Event for Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Researchers
Inclusion/Safety in Research Spaces | 12:00 - 1:00 pm |Friday, September 25th via Zoom
Vice President for Research and Professor of Chemistry Peter Dorhout and Executive Director of KAWSE and Professor of Sociology Chardie Baird will be hosting a virtual brown bag. The goal is to learn from you, graduate students and postdoctoral researchers, about the challenges and successes you are facing when creating/experiencing physical and cultural safety in your research spaces. VPR Dorhout is committed to incorporating what he learns from you in programming in K-State's research office.
Please RSVP to attend by Wednesday, September 23rd at 4 pm.
After submitting your RSVP, you will receive a confirmation email containing information on how to join the meeting.
SUCCEED 2020-2021 Career Chat Series: Carol Sevin
12:00 - 1:00 pm | Tuesday, September 22 via Zoom
Jobs for STEM degree holders are not limited to academia and industry. Science Librarian Carol Sevin will share her experience working and volunteering in libraries, science museums, and makerspaces and serving as a high school teacher and public health program coordinator in the Peace Corps. We’ll explore options for STEM graduates in journalism, advocacy, public policy, community organizing, startups, youth development, grant writing, libraries, museums, and more. In industry and higher education, there are also many opportunities to get out of the lab or classroom and connect with communities through partnerships with local government, non-profit, and educational organizations.
Please RSVP to attend by Monday, September 21st at 4 pm.
SUCCEED 2020-2021 Career Chat Series: Dr. Kate Nelson
12:00 - 1:00 pm | Tuesday, October 6 via Zoom
Dr. Nelson will share her experiences navigating a career path in STEM that transitioned from environmental engineering to nanoscience to geography. In addition, she will present what we can learn about sustainable agriculture and the impacts of natural disasters using an interdisciplinary and geography-based approach.
Please RSVP to attend by Monday, October 5th at 4 pm.
Salary Negotiation Workshop
12:00 - 1:00 pm | Tuesday, October 13 via Zoom
This workshop is full of tips and tools to negotiate a fair salary! Join us to learn about the pay gap, and how to identify & advocate for your personal value.
- Negotiations on strategies
- Market-based research
- Building a persuasive argument
Please RSVP to attend by Monday, October 12th at 4 pm.
Fall 2020 Dates Available NOW!
Inspire high school students who are considering STEM majors and careers! We’re looking for volunteer panelists to help students get a better sense of what it means to be a STEM major at K-State. During this online panel discussion, you will help students understand what a typical day looks like for you, what you like about K-State, and more! There are two different opportunities to participate: October 20 and November 10.
We will be selecting panelists based upon the areas of interest high school participants. This opportunity is open to on-campus and online students. To indicate your interest and availability, please complete our Qualtrics survey: https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bKEO5zsns3cziN7.
Questions? Need more information? Email the KAWSE office at firstname.lastname@example.org
KAWSE Ambassadors Fall 2020 Meetings - 7 - 8 pm, via Zoom
August 31 | September 21 | October 5 | October 19| November 2| November 16
New/interested members are welcome! This organization is for undergrad & graduate students. Our goal is to be low-commitment while having a high impact. We meet the first and third Mondays of each month, and you get to choose how much you want to be involved in our various initiatives. This group focuses on supporting girls’ interest in STEM through visits to local middle/high schools. It is also a great place to meet other women in STEM at K-State, like yourself, and participate in professional development and other volunteer outreach opportunities. To be added directly to the KAWSE Ambassadors mailing list and to get the Zoom meeting information, contact Payton Masoner at email@example.com.
We want to hear from you!
KAWSE would like to plan programs and events tailored to your needs and interests as women in STEM fields at K-State. If there is something you wish you knew more about or an event you feel like you could benefit from, please reply to this message and share your idea(s). We appreciate your feedback!
Visit K-State’s Career Center website to check the dates of upcoming Career Fairs. You can also drop by in the afternoons for a quick look over your resume, or schedule an appointment with an advisor for a more in-depth review. The Career Center offers a variety of services to support you in your professional endeavors!