1. K-State home
  2. »Graduate School
  3. »Admissions
  4. »Application process
  5. »International Students
  6. »Frequently Asked Questions

Graduate School

International Students' Frequently Asked Questions

Medical questions

Do I have to take the tuberculosis test?

K-State has a mandatory tuberculosis testing policy. Read the policy or call 785-532-6544.

This policy requires testing of all students who have spent more than four months in a country with a high incidence of tuberculosis. International students from high risk countries will not be allowed to enroll until they have completed testing. This testing must be done in the United States. Test results from outside the United States will not be accepted. If students test positive in the United States prior to arrival at K-State, they should take their test results to Lafene Health Center.

Do I need my medical records or proof of immunization records?

Students should contact Lafene Health Center at 785-532-6544 or lafene@k-state.edu to enquire about medical records required.

Do I need to have health insurance?

The Kansas Board of Regents requires that all international students maintain health insurance coverage. Insurance coverage will be automatically included in their tuition bills once they register for classes. If you have questions about the health insurance coverage, or prefer to obtain health insurance from another provider, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services at isss@ksu.edu.

Where is Lafene Health Center located?

1105 Sunset Avenue, near the corner of Claflin and Sunset (west of Marlatt Hall).

English proficiency questions

I received a degree within the last two years from a United States college or university. Do I need to take the TOEFL or IELTS exam?

Students will not be required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score. However, individual programs may require demonstration of English language proficiency. If you attended, but did not graduate with a degree from a United States college or university, you will be required to take the English Proficiency Test.

I am applying through distance learning. Am I required to submit a TOEFL or IELTS score?

If the student's native language is not English, they should submit a current TOEFL or IELTS score. Learn more about English proficiency requirements.

Application questions

Do you accept certificates of deposit as supporting documentation for supporting documentation on the affidavit of financial support form?

Yes, we will accept certificates of deposit or statements of balance. Originals only, no fax or photocopies.

I want to defer my admission to next semester. What do I need to do?

If an applicant wishes to defer his/her admission date to another semester, the program should contact the applicant about submitting new financial documentation. The applicant will need to send a new affidavit of financial support before a new I-20 can be issued and also indicate any changes to the original application (i.e. change of address, spousal information, children).

The department should also ask the applicant to return the old I-20 to the Graduate School.

If the applicant is currently attending another U.S. university, the student must inform the department and the student is required to send an official transcript to the Kansas State University Graduate School.

Once new financial documentation has been received, the program should forward the original financial documentation along with a letter (make sure you include the student's current mailing address) to the Graduate School requesting the deferred admission.

If the applicant has deferred several times and the original application is a year or more old, please have the applicant fill out a new application form (there might be changes and additions to be made on the new application). The applicant will also be required to submit a new application fee.