Application Process

Admission requirements

Review the admission procedures and entrance requirements before applying.

Each graduate program at Kansas State University determines the materials needed for making admission decisions. Contact the department to which you are interested in applying to determine what supporting documents are required as part of the application process.

Apply Now

Guidance for Admission Categories

US Citizens and Permanent Residents
International Students
Distance Learning or Non-Degree

Application Process Steps

1. Select your admission category

Select your admission category (above) to proceed.

2. Complete application and upload documents

Complete all required sections and upload documents or media to your online application as they are requested. The documents requested may differ based the program you select. Do not submit documents by email or postal mail to the Graduate School (unless you receive a request).

When requested, upload copies of your transcripts in English from each post-secondary education institution attended. If you do not have copies of your transcripts you will need to obtain copies for uploading. If your transcripts are not in English, upload a translation in English. See our Certificate of Translation Form (PDF). Do not have official copies sent directly to the graduate school in place of uploading - you will not be able to submit your application without uploading requested documents.

Failure to disclose your entire and complete academic history may result in denial of admission, revocation of admission and assistantship offers, and/or suspension or dismissal after admission.


Letters of recommendation
If requested, submit the name and email address for each requested reference. Each reference will be notified to complete a recommendation for you online. Use the Activity Review page to display the status of your recommendations. Use the Action button to edit the recommender and/or send a reminder.

English language proficiency
If English is not your native language, you may be requested to provide English proficiency test scores in order to demonstrate competence in the English language. Satisfactory test scores are accepted from Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or Pearson Test of English (PTE). Please request your scores to be sent to Kansas State University. An applicant who has received a degree in the last two years from a United States college or university is exempt from this requirement. However, individual programs may require demonstration of English language proficiency.

English Proficiency Test Score Requirements

Test Minimum Score
IBT TOEFL (internet based) 79*
IELTS 6.5*
Pearson Test of English (PTE) 58

*Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA)
Please note that any non-native English speakers, whether a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or international student, interested in a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) must meet the speaking requirements as specified in Chapter 1, Section G in the Graduate Handbook. The Kansas Board of Regents requires all prospective GTAs who are non-native English speakers to achieve a: minimum score of 50 on the TSE (Test of Spoken English) OR minimum score of 50 on the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) OR minimum score of 22 on the speak section of the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) OR a minimum score of 7 in the speak portion of the IELTS test. See chapter 1 of the Graduate Handbook.

The TOEFL is offered several times a year throughout the world by the Educational Testing Service. Accepted TOEFL test scores are from the TOEFL IBT (Internet Based Test) and TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test). All scores are valid for two years from the initial test date.

The Graduate school does NOT accept Duolingo scores or TOEFL ITP scores. You must provide valid academic test scores from the TOEFL IBT/PBT, IELTS or PTE test if your native language is not English. Applicants pursuing a GTA position are required to provide either TOEFL or IELTS scores as detailed above.

English Speaking Countries
Applicants from these English speaking countries are not required to provide an English proficiency test score.

Standardized Tests (GRE, GMAT, etc.)
If your graduate program requires standardized tests, such as the GRE test, you should request the testing service to send your scores to Kansas State University - institution code 6334. If you indicated where you wanted your scores sent (the academic department and Kansas State University) when you took the test, your scores will automatically be sent. Standardized tests scores are valid for five years.

Affidavit of financial support
International students may be required to submit a completed affidavit of financial support form within the application. See details under the International Admission category.

3. Submit your application and pay the fee

International Degree Seeking Fee $75
International Non-Degree or Certificate Fee $75
Domestic Degree Seeking Fee $65
Domestic Non-Degree or Certificate Fee $50

All applicants for graduate admission or readmission must submit an application and pay the appropriate fee. Current non-degree graduate students at Kansas State University who wish to pursue a degree program must submit a new application and pay the application fee. The Graduate School does not issue application fee waivers to applicants. Application fees are non-refundable and non-transferrable.

4. Application review

Initial review and admission recommendations are completed by the program to which you applied. The graduate program will review the application and make a recommendation to the Graduate School, after which the Graduate School reviews the application. Admitted students will be notified to view the decision letter and decision form on their status page. If you have a question about the status of your application, please contact the program department to which you applied.

Official Transcript Requests
If you are offered admission your admission letter may include a request for you to furnish official transcript(s) for degree conferral verification, from each institution where you received a degree and/or completed any post-baccalaureate credits. Transcripts are considered Official if they have been sent directly by an institution to Kansas State University. Transcripts should be sent to or mailed to the Graduate School. Do not send transcripts in place of uploading them to your application.