1. K-State home
  2. »Graduate School
  3. »Admissions
  4. »Application process
  5. »International Students

Graduate School

International Students

Kansas State University has students from more than 100 countries and is proud of its international student body. As an international student, your application for admission to K-State must meet the same academic standards for admission as those required of native students. In addition, international applicants holding non-immigrant visas are required by U.S. immigration regulations to be enrolled in a full course of study.

Apply now      

Application deadlines

Deadlines in individual degree programs may be earlier, check with the department in which you are interested when planning your application.

  • January 8 for fall (August) enrollment
  • August 1 for spring (January) enrollment
  • December 1 for summer (June) enrollment

Application materials

All application materials should be uploaded to the graduate application by the deadline listed above.

  • online application
  • application fee
  • test scores
  • transcripts 
  • financial documents
    • Requested at the time of application however ability to provide financial documentation has no bearing on the admission decision. It is necessary for the issuance of an I-20 or DS-2019.

Application requirements

Application fee

International applicants may apply for admission online and pay their $75 application fee.

Affidavit of Financial Support

Each application must indicate the source of financial support. Financial support documentation should be accompanied by the Affidavit of Financial Support verifying that financial support is available for the student while attending Kansas State University. Sponsors must sign the financial affidavit, electronic signatures will not be accepted. This documentation is required in order to issue an I-20 or DS-2019 and has no bearing on the admission decision. 

Download the Affidavit of Financial Support form

Applicants will not need to submit the affidavit of financial support form if they meet the following criteria:

  • H1 visa holder employed full-time and does not plan to change visa type
  • Dependent of an H1 visa holder (H4) and does not plan to change visa type
  • F1/J1 student visa holder enrolled full-time at another accredited U.S. university who will not be requesting an I-20 or DS-2019 from Kansas State University now or in the future.
  • Applicant residing in another country and does not need a student visa (applying as a distance learning applicant)
  • Has a current I-20 or DS2019 at K-State and is applying for a certificate program in conjunction with their current master's or doctoral program at K-State
International Application for Admission to a Doctoral Program

Current K-State Master's students continuing on for a Doctoral degree in the same curriculum should complete the International Application for Admission to Doctoral Program (Word).

English Proficiency Requirements

The Graduate School requires each applicant whose native language is not English to demonstrate competence in the English language by achieving a satisfactory score (defined below) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and Pearson Test of English (PTE). The TOEFL, IELTS or PTE is required to ensure that the student’s progress toward a degree is not jeopardized by language barriers. The TOEFL (K-State TOEFL school code 6334) is offered several times a year throughout the world by the Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey. International applicants are advised to take the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE as early as possible to avoid delays in the processing of their applications. However, the test date should be no older than eighteen months from the application deadline.

An applicant who has received a degree in the last two years from a United States college or university is exempt from this requirement. However, individual programs may require demonstration of English language proficiency.

Score requirements
TestMinimum Score
IBT TOEFL (internet based)79
Pearson Test of English (PTE)58

Please note that any non-native English speakers, whether a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or international student, interested in a Graduate Teaching Assistantship must meet the speaking requirements as specified in Chapter 1, Section F in the Graduate Handbook.

The Kansas Board of Regents requires all prospective GTAs who are non-native English speakers to achieve a: minimum score of 50 on the TSE (Test of Spoken English) OR minimum score of 50 on the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK) OR minimum score of 22 on the speak section of the Internet-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). This portion of the Graduate handbook is at: http://www.k-state.edu/grad/graduate-handbook/chapter1.html.

The TOEFL is offered several times a year throughout the world by the Educational Testing Service, PO Box 6151, Princeton, New Jersey 08540, USA, telephone 609-771-7100 or www.toefl.org.

There are three types of TOEFL scores:

  • paper-based TOEFL,
  • computer-based TOEFL and
  • TOEFL IBT (Internet-based TOEFL taken in real time).

TOEFL scores are valid for two years from the initial test date.

  • A score of at least 550 (paper-based test), 213 (computer-based test), or 79 (IBT - internet-based test) on the TOEFL is required to be considered for admission to the Graduate School. Note: Some programs require a TOEFL score higher than stated here.

  • Applicants with scores of 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based) or 100 (IBT - Internet based) or above may be considered for regular admission.

Standardized tests

If your graduate program requires standardized tests, you should request the Educational Testing Service to send your scores to Kansas State University. If you indicated where you wanted your scores sent (the academic department and Kansas State University) when you took the test, your scores will automatically be sent. The Graduate School does not accept photocopies as official for admission purposes. Standardized tests scores are valid for five years. If available, please include test scores in the application.

Health insurance

The Kansas Board of Regents requires that all international students maintain health insurance coverage. Insurance coverage will be automatically included in your tuition bills.

If you have questions about the health insurance coverage or prefer to obtain health insurance from another provider, please contact International Student and Scholar Services at isss@ksu.edu.