Graduate Financial Assistance

To support research, scholarship, and the acquisition of advanced degrees, the university offers several kinds of financial aid for graduate students. These include

  • fellowships,
  • traineeships,
  • teaching assistantships, and
  • research assistantships.

In addition, a variety of loan programs and work study are available to graduate students.

Teaching and Research Assistantships

Individual departments and graduate programs administer graduate student financial assistance primarily in the form of teaching and research assistantships. They are awarded on a competitive basis.

Teaching assistants are appointed by most departments to

  • offer instruction or instructional support in lower level undergraduate courses,
  • to lead discussion groups in conjunction with large lecture courses,
  • or to teach laboratory sections in scientific and technical disciplines.

Teaching assistants must pass a test of spoken English if they are not native English speakers.

Research assistantships are generally funded through research grants or contracts awarded to the University or by funds provided by the Agricultural Experiment Station or the Engineering Experiment Station. There is no test of spoken English required for a research assistantship.

Research assistants qualify for resident tuition rates if they are enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester. Tuition is waived in the fall and spring semesters for students on at least a 0.4 teaching assistantship.

You should obtain information about teaching or research assistantships directly from the department or program to which you are seeking admission.

Office of Student Financial Assistance

The Office of Student Financial Assistance administers all federal assistance programs and a work study program for which graduate students are eligible. To learn more about how you can pay for your graduate degree visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance.

Have specific questions about scholarships, grants, work study or loans? Visit the Office of Student Financial Assistance, 104 Fairchild Hall, 785-532-6420, email: