Templates, Tools, and Resources
Though not required, you are strongly encouraged to use one of the templates below to prepare your ETDR.
Note: Using a shared template rather than downloading a new one can result in functionality problems. Many times these templates are broken, incorrect, or outdated. To avoid these issues, be sure to download and use the Graduate School's Word or LaTeX templates below rather than one inherited from another graduate student.
Download a Word template
The Word templates work on both Macs and PCs and can be opened in any version of Microsoft Word. They are in Word 2010-2013 (.docx format) but if you are using an older version of Word, you may be able to save the file in Compatibility mode (.doc format).
Instructions and Videos for Using the Word Template
Select your Word version to see instructions and videos for using the ETDR Word template, resolving problems, and creating the final format required by the Graduate School.
Don't know what version you're using?
- Which Word version? (Windows and Mac, Word 2003-2011)
- Which Office version? (Windows Office 2003-2013)
Download a LaTeX template
The LaTeX template uses a separate file for each section of your ETDR and is designed to be compiled with PDFLaTex. The template will not compile with "regular" LaTeX. The template is configured with page margins and other formatting required by the Graduate School and will automatically generate a table of contents, a list of figures, and a list of tables. If you write your ETDR in LaTeX, you are not required to use this template.
- Download the LaTeX template (zip). The same template is used for doctoral and masters papers.
- The template consists of several files compressed into a single file. Create a new directory named "latex_source" and use an appropriate utility to decompress the file into this directory.
- Study the Instructions for Using the LaTeX ETDR Template (PDF). Additional guidelines are contained within the template.
Personal Bound Copies of Your Thesis, Dissertation or Report
You are not required by the Graduate School to submit a bound, paper copy of your ETDR. Many students, however, are interested in obtaining a bound copy for their personal use. Students can order a bound copy online by sending the PDF of your ETDR to Thesis on Demand or to PHD Book Binding. Bound copies also may be printed through K-State's University Printing, but hard-cover binding is not available.