1. K-State home
  2. »OIP
  3. »Education Abroad
  4. »Family Resources
  5. »Before Leaving

Education Abroad

Education Abroad
Kansas State University
304 Fairchild Hall
1601 Vattier Street
Manhattan, Kansas 66506

785-532-6550 fax

forum logo



Frequently Asked Questions for Family Members

What are some important things to discuss with my student about their program? 

  • When your student applies for program, make sure he or she enters your phone number as an emergency contact.
  • Your student's departure information. Arrange how you will communicate with them (phone, e-mail etc.). Set a time to hear from them within a day or two of arrival. Make sure you know what numbers are required when calling internationally. See http://www.countrycallingcodes.com/ for more information.
  • Where will your student stay in an emergency?  (ex. if plane is delayed or they don't meet up with their group at the appointed time)
  • Know the difference in time between the U.S. and where they are going.
  • Program dates and any travel they plan to do before the program, during or after.
  • How to send money in an emergency
  • Contact person in the country (program director, university coordinator, or someone else)
  • How to contact your student's study abroad advisor and financial aid advisor.
  • Educational privacy rules. Under FERPA, Kansas State may only disclose aspects of a student's study abroad program with family if students complete a FERPA waiver form. If this is a concern for you or your student, please contact the Education Abroad Office to arrange for this waiver.
  • It is a good idea for another family member to have a valid passport, in case it becomes necessary to travel overseas in an emergency.

What does the Education Abroad office do?

Our advisors help students find an international study program that fits their academic, professional, and personal goals. The Education Abroad office supports students during the application process, while they are abroad, and hosts welcome back events.

Can a student still graduate on time if they study abroad?

Yes! Before students leave, their academic advisors have to approve the courses they will take while abroad to ensure that graduation requirements are being met. Students can study abroad for core degree requirements, K-State 8 requirements, or general electives.

When do students typically go abroad?

A student’s major usually determines when a student studies abroad. For some majors, sophomore or junior year is most appropriate to study abroad. For other majors, any semester can work, as long as they are planning early. Aside from some faculty-led programs, students must have completed one year of study in college before they can go abroad. Senior year is the most common year for study abroad at KSU, but this is typically a short-term study abroad program during the fall-break or spring break. A semester abroad during senior year is usually not advisable for most majors.

How long will they be gone?

We have programs that range everywhere from one week long to an entire academic year! If a student is nervous about being by themselves, a faculty-led program is a great way to go abroad.

How much does it cost?

Unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Cost varies based on location and length of program. However, there are options that are very comparable (or cheaper) than a semester at K-State. On an exchange program, students pay in- state tuition for the semester (even if the student is out-of-state). In some places, programs are cheaper if a student pays tuition directly to the host school. Read more at https://www.k-state.edu/abroad/current-students/funding/.

What funds are available to help pay for a program?

As long as a student is going on an approved program, receiving credit, and meeting enrollment requirements, they can use federal financial aid to pay for a program. While scholarships are never a guarantee, our office does award scholarships every term. In addition, students can apply for extra scholarships throughout K-State or the U.S. For example, the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship is a national award that is specifically for students that receive a Federal Pell Grant.

What about safety?

The Education Abroad Office approves all education abroad programs for safety, using travel information from the U.S. Department of State and information from study abroad partners overseas. Students are only approved to study abroad in countries that the U.S. Department of State has deemed safe for travel. While students are gone, we have a 24-hour phone line that can be called for emergency assistance. In addition, our partner programs have offices dedicated to serving KSU study abroad students.

What happens if my student gets hurt?

All students are required to have international health insurance while they are abroad. K-State students are enrolled in Chubb International Health insurance, which is required by the Risk Management office. International health insurance can make it easier for students to obtain medications, emergency medical services, emergency transportation, and more. You can learn more at https://www.k- state.edu/abroad/current-students/before/healthandsafety.html