1. K-State home
  2. »OIP
  3. »Education Abroad
  4. »Current students
  5. »Before Your Program
  6. »Health and Safety Abroad

Education Abroad

Health and Safety Abroad

Whereas you may not think twice about your health and safety abroad, we strongly advise that you plan ahead to ensure that you take every precaution necessary to stay healthy, safe, and happy.  Before you leave the United States, make use of the following resources:

International Health Insurance

All KSU students are covered under KSU's International Global Assistance and Insurance program. KSU students participating on an education abroad program with an affiliate or partner provider are covered under that partner's equivalent insurance program.

To view the KSU International Global Assistance and Insurance Program summary of benefits and contact information, please visit the KSU Office of Risk and Compliance website.

Faculty-Led Programs

If you are participating on a Faculty-Led program, insurance is automatically included as part of your participation in the program, and the cost is built into your faculty-led program fee.

All Other Education Abroad Programs

Exchange and Direct Enroll Programs

If you are participating on an exchange program or more direct enroll programs, you are covered under KSU's International Insurance program. The fee for KSU's International Insurance program appears as a "Health, Safety & Insurance" fees charge on your KSIS account shortly before the term you will be abroad.

3rd Party Program Providers

If you are participating on a 3rd Party Program provider that has insurance equivalent to KSU's international insurance program, then you are covered under that program's insurance.

International Research, Conferences, Non-Credit Travel, or Other University Related Travel

Any student participating in a university-sponsored international activity must register their travel with the KSU Office of Risk and Compliance. You can find the KSU International Travel Registry here. As part of this registration, you will be enrolled in KSU's international insurance program. Just prior to departure there will be a charge on your KSIS account for "Health, Safety, & Insurance".

For more information about this insurance, please contact the Office of Risk and Compliance.

Health Resources

The Lafene Health Center

A travel consultation is available at the K-State Lafene Health Center to assist students, faculty, or staff who are traveling abroad.

Your initial, thirty-minute consultation will include:

  • An individual review of vaccination requirements for the region that you are visiting
  • Travel recommendations for the region based on current health and safety precautions
  • A worksheet that lists health requirements and recommendations
  • An optional referral to a physician for any medications, health assessment, or needed instruction
  • Access to necessary vaccinations (allow for a one-hour appointment)

Appointments should be scheduled well in advance (at least two to three months) of the desired travel date.  Some vaccination requirements may take several months to be completed.  Bring a record of prior immunizations and a completed Travel Clinic Form to your initial consultation.

There is no charge for travel clinic visits.  Charges assessed include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Medication(s) purchased through the Lafene Pharmacy
  • Vaccinations given
  • Physical examinations

Current prices for services, appointments or additional information may be obtained by calling 785-532-6544

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC)

The CDC is one of the best sources for information health abroad.  Searching by country will be bring up listings of recommended and required vaccines as well as potential health risks associated with that region of the world.

MySSP - Mental Health Resource

The MySSP app offers free mental health and well-being support for all K-State students, even while they are abroad.

Safety Resources

When you travel abroad, you are no longer under the legal jurisdiction of the United States and must abide by all the laws of the countries in which you travel.  Consider reading about your host country before you depart the U.S.

U.S. Department of State

The U.S. Department of State protects American citizens while they are abroad.  Consider enrollment in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP), a free service that allows the Department of State to better assist you if you have an emergency abroad.  Also consider some Department of State safety tips and information for students abroad, and download the Smart Traveler App.

Supplemental Travel Insurance

Some students choose to purchase supplemental travel insurance to provide coverage for loss or delay of personal belongings, program delays or cancellations, or other unexpected occurrences during their international experiences.  All supplemental insurance policies are the sole responsibility of the student and must be purchased on an individual basis.

Education Abroad encourages students to review supplemental insurance options and decide whether it is right for them to purchase a policy.

Theft Insurance

Theft insurance usually provides coverage for the replacement costs of items stolen while abroad, such as a laptop or camera.

Baggage Insurance

Baggage insurance usually provides reimbursement for loss, theft, or damage to baggage. Some policies also provide reimbursement of expenses incurred as a result of lost baggage, such as the purchase of clothing or personal hygiene items.

Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance

Trip cancellation and interruption insurance usually provides reimbursement of unused, non-refundable pre-aid travel expenses in the event of trip cancellation or interruption.

Trip Delay Insurance

Trip delay insurance usually helps cover costs incurred if a trip is substantially delayed, generally by 12 hours or longer.