1. K-State home
  2. »Office of Student Success
  3. »Academic Achievement Center
  4. »SPARK

Academic Achievement Center

Academic Achievement Center
101 Holton Hall
1101 Mid-Campus Dr. North
Manhattan, KS 66506


Tutoring Services

Holtz Hall
1005 Mid-Campus Dr. North
Manhattan, KS 66506


Follow us @kstateAAC


Second Opportunity for Academic Refocus at K-State (SPARK) program is for students who earn less than a 1.0 GPA during their first semester to be reinstated to K-State.

The SPARK program will help you find academic success, stay on track for graduation, and develop skills that you can use in college and your career. The SPARK program includes: enrollment in an Academic Refocus student success course with embedded academic coaching, co-curricular opportunities, and a peer mentor; intentional advising; and a student-focused event on resilience. 

To participate in SPARK, you must complete all of the following steps.

  • Complete the SPARK Application by Wednesday, January 6, 2021. You will be notified of acceptance on January 11th by 5pm. 
  • Attend the required SPARK Orientation. Students will receive communication through SSC Navigate to their official K-State email about a synchronous opportunity to connect for Orientation. 
  • Enroll in a maximum of 13 hours, including the Academic Refocus Seminar when meeting with your advisor.

If you have questions or would like additional information, please contact the Office of Student Success at studentsuccess@ksu.edu.


Please note that if you do NOT attend the SPARK Orientation, you will not be able to return to K-State for the spring semester. You will remain in dismissed status and will have to wait two semesters for re-entry, per the academic dismissal policy at K-State.

If you choose not to participate in SPARK, please complete the following items as they apply. This will ensure you can easily transition back into K-State when you are ready to do so.

  • Contact Housing & Dining Services to cancel your contract and make arrangements to retrieve your belongings.
  • Cancel your campus parking permit. 
  • Notify financial aid. If you have loans from the first semester, you may be responsible for beginning to make payments after six months of last enrolled date.
  • Stay in touch with your academic advisor! Your advisor can help you as you plan for your time away from K-State, and to help you develop the best plan for transition back to the university.
  • Check your KSIS account to resolve any holds you may have. This will put you in a good position to return when you are ready.