Multicultural Center Planning Group
A center to advance student success, diversity, inclusion and social justice at Kansas State University.
The charge to the planning group was to recommend a vision, purpose statement and plan that could be used by the KSU Foundation for a feasibility study and case statement development. The group also was charged to honor the work completed previously, using it as a starting point for further planning. During the spring semester of 2017, the planning group worked towards:
- reviewing the original conceptual work, gathering information and reviewing similar models at peer institutions,
- addressing the questions raised by donors and others related to the use, outcomes, budget and staff for the center,
- inviting broad participation of stakeholders across the university – student organizations, faculty groups, department, units, any group that wishes to participate – to address key planning questions,
- engaging individual donors, corporate diversity and inclusion experts and others to bring additional perspectives to the effort and
- based on the feedback received, sent completed recommendations to senior leadership in May 2017.
Results of this work will be used to garner support and will be essential to securing the resources necessary to achieve the vision. Members of the planning group will continue to serve as ambassadors for the project, engaging with donors.
The Multicultural Center planning group was and will continue to be committed to creating a center that advances student success, diversity, inclusion and social justice at Kansas State University. The planning group was also committed to ensure that all student groups were at the table as decisions were being made and that students, faculty, staff and alumni were included in the process.
Contribute your voice
In April 2017, a survey link was sent to all registered K-State student organizations, deans, directors and department heads, asking these groups to provide their input to define uses and outcomes for a space that advances student success, diversity, inclusion and social justice for the campus community. All responses have been shared and made available publicly as part of the planning process.
Between April 27 and May 12, 2017, individuals in the K-State community were invited to provide additional feedback and further refine the outcomes and opportunities of this center. Aggregated results from the individual survey have also been shared as part of the planning process.
Thank you to those who contributed their voice to the group and individual surveys.
A final written report of the committee's findings and recommendations was sent to the senior leadership team.