Minor in Leadership Studies
The Mary Lynn and Warren Staley School of Leadership Studies at Kansas State University is a value-centered learning community that provides undergraduates an academic minor designed to complement any major at K-State. The Staley School provides students with academic knowledge and hands-on learning experiences that advance our mission of "developing knowledgeable, ethical, caring, inclusive leaders for a diverse and changing world." Our unique coursework combines theory and practice with an emphasis on personal leadership development. Students will:
- Develop knowledge of self, group dynamics and communication processes, and current and historical perspectives on leadership
- Foster ethical decision-making through critical analysis, problem solving, and discussions about integrity and character
- Emphasize caring as a key component of effective leadership which requires boldness, fortitude, service, positive change orientation, inspiration and celebration
- Cultivate an inclusive world by encouraging open dialogue and sharing of stories and experiences in recognition of all that unites us
- Appreciate diversity by educating about a variety of cultures, studying leadership issues of special populations, and facilitating inter-cultural communication
- Recognize change as a vital part of the leadership process, and prepare future leaders to deal with change in a constructive way
Students working toward a minor in leadership studies choose either the standard or nonprofit focus. The core coursework is the same for either option, but electives are designated for students in the nonprofit focus. See Course Requirements for more information about minor requirements.
Why pursue a minor in leadership studies?
To develop your capacity to exercise leadership in all areas of your life. Below are the eight Student Learning Outcomes for the Staley School of Leadership Studies:
- Identify, understand, and apply theories, models, and constructs of leadership.
- Develop and practice leadership consistent with one’s personal philosophy.
- Develop the ability to navigate, understand, and appreciate that conflict is essential to making progress for the greater good.
- Understand and appreciate frameworks for ethical decision-making.
- Develop the ability to reflect on self, others and community as essential to exercising leadership.
- Identify and understand the impact of culture on leadership.
- Identify, understand and evaluate one’s growth as a culturally competent leader.
- Understand that leadership is a commitment to serving the greater good.
- Understand that innovation and collaboration are important to leading personal, community, national and world change
A minor in leadership studies complements your academic major by combining theory and practice with an emphasis on personal leadership development.
How do I sign up?
- Come to 257 Leadership Studies Building anytime between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Sign-up for an advising appointment. During this appointment you can complete the form to add the minor.
- To add the nonprofit leadership focus, ask to schedule your appointment with the nonprofit advisor.
How do I get help with planning my leadership studies course of study?
Contact Kaitlin Long.
How do I make sure I graduate with my leadership studies minor?
Complete all 16 hours of required coursework and submit the Certification of Minor form to leadership studies. See Course Requirements for more important information.
Students minoring in Leadership Studies must receive a grade of C or higher in all courses (core and electives) counted toward the minor. In addition, students must achieve a minimum of a 2.5 GPA in the sum of their courses (core and elective). Both requirements must be met to be eligible to receive the minor.
How do I apply for graduation with my leadership studies minor?
During the semester you plan to graduate from K-State, you will need to complete the following two steps in order to graduate with the Leadership Studies minor:
1. Apply for graduation from the Leadership Studies minor on iSIS. You will do this at the same time you apply for graduation from your major.
i. Sign into KSIS
ii. Go to Self Service
iii. Go to Degree Progress/Graduation
iv. Go to Apply for Graduation
v. Follow the process from that page (don’t forget to select Leadership Studies)
If you have difficulties with the iSIS application process, please contact your major’s Dean’s office
2. Complete the Certification of the Minor form and return it to room 257 in the Leadership Studies Building or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.