Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Where can I find information about the Kansas State University Research Foundation?

A: Please visit the Research Foundation's website.

Q: What do you mean by Intellectual Property (IP) and Technology Transfer?

A: When we refer to IP we typically mean either inventions that can be the subject of a patent or creative works such as software, written materials or multi-media works that can be protected by copyright. Technology Transfer refers to the process of commercializing the IP. Most often the IP is licensed to a company in exchange for royalty and other payments and these payments are shared with the creator of the IP. The IP may also be commercialized via the creation of a new company if appropriate. For information about KSURF's policy on sharing of royalty income please visit our website:

Q: How does the committee determine if the research is appropriate for the award?

A: The committee is comprised of representatives from the various colleges who have experience with patenting and commercializing intellectual property. The committee will evaluate the objectives and significance of the research, research progress to date and anticipated future results and their implications. The research summary should include a clear statement regarding the potential for disclosure of intellectual property and its commercial application.

Q: What criteria will be used to evaluate the application?

A: The committee will evaluate whether the applicant has provided evidence of exceptional achievement as demonstrated by publication/presentation history, research summary and progress to date, honors/awards and professional service. In addition the committee will evaluate the intellectual property potential, the quality and content of the Award Statement and the Letters of Recommendation.

Q: Who is eligible to receive the KSURF Doctoral Scholarship?

A: Students from any college or major are eligible to apply. Students must have completed their preliminary exams and have been admitted to candidacy, the student's dissertation research should have been approved by their supervisory committee, and the students must have a minimum of two semesters to complete their research and meet graduation requirements.