Paying for college
Edgerley-Franklin Urban Leadership Scholarship and Developing Scholars Program
The Edgerley and Franklin families support this scholarship to promote future engagement with the challenges facing urban communities and families. Applicants should have demonstrated experience in addressing these challenges. Up to five students receive this award annually.
The Urban Leadership Scholars Program seeks to shape the next generation of great American urban leaders. Urban Leadership Scholars will have the knowledge to make sound judgments, the character to flourish under the pressures of leadership, and the vision to bring new solutions to our nation's most pressing urban needs. They will influence and inspire future generations to value education, hard work, and achieve academic and career success.
The Urban Leadership Scholars Program is not a typical scholarship competition. In addition to a monetary award, scholars will have access to academic and social experiences to encourage successful careers in any field offered at K-State. Scholars will be inspired to become exemplary citizens for life who will shape all aspects of American urban society.
Finalists will be selected by a committee of campus and community leaders and are required to participate in an on-campus interview. The interview and recognition event will include a luncheon and other special activities. Parents and family members are encouraged to attend.
Freshman year award
Developing Scholars are paid to do 10 hours of research per week. Research hours allow students to earn $1,000 per semester in their first year and $1,250 per semester in their second and third years for a total of $7,000 in additional earnings.
- High school GPA: 3.5 or above and
- Have a strong record of community service and
- Be a high school senior
- Preference will be given to students of color and first-generation college students of any racial or ethnic background
- Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or Kansas high school graduate and
- Attend K-State in fall 2017 or spring 2018 and
- Apply for acceptance to the Developing Scholars Program and
- Participate in leadership studies and
- Participate in an on-campus interview and recognition event on Monday, March 13, 2017
Renewable for up to three additional years at $5,000 with a K-State GPA of 3.25 or above.
- Submit the K-State admission and scholarship application (if you have not already done so).
- Complete the supplemental application.
- Application and letter of recommendation are due by 5 p.m. CST January 16, 2017.