February 8, 2022
Undergraduate student researchers invited to engage with the Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Inquiry this semester
The Office of Undergraduate Research and Creative Inquiry, or OURCI, has several opportunities for undergraduate student researchers. Please see below for more information.
• The Developing Scholars Program offers high-achieving, serious-minded, historically underrepresented students research projects in their field of study with faculty mentors. Scholars will receive academic, social and financial support designed to help them become more integrated into university life. The program supports early-career students. Students are not required to have prior research experience to apply. Applications close Feb. 13. To learn more and to apply, visit k-state.edu/scholars/applications/.
• OURCI Research and Conference/Travel Awards: Undergraduate students from all disciplines who are in good academic standing are encouraged to apply for these opportunities. Students can be starting or currently participating in a faculty-led research project.
- Research Awards are designed to help students support the purchase of supplies for a project or as compensation for time spent working on a project. Funds will go directly to the student. Faculty oversight of research is required. Applications include completion of a student portion and a letter of recommendation from the faculty mentor. There is a maximum award amount of $500. The application deadline is April 8. More information is available at bit.ly/3AjglWq.
- Conference/Travel Awards are meant to pay for travel-related undergraduate research expenses. This can include travel to conduct research or travel to a conference to present research. Funds will go directly to the student. Faculty oversight of research is required. Applications include completion of a student portion and a letter of recommendation from the faculty mentor. There is a maximum award amount of $500 for an in-person conference or $250 for a virtual conference. The application deadline is April 8. Please note: We will review travel/conference grants following the deadline, rather than on a rolling basis. This may mean that funds will serve as reimbursements. More information at bit.ly/351RaLh.
• Spring Undergraduate Research Showcase: Two ways to engage — The Spring K-State Undergraduate Research Showcase is an event designed to highlight and celebrate undergraduate research happening in and out of classes, in departments across campus. Participants may present in person, virtually, or both.
1. In-person poster session will be 5-7 p.m. April 21, in the K-State Student Union Ballroom. Space for this event is limited. Students should register early if this is their preferred method. The deadline for registration is March 31. Event and registration information can be found at bit.ly/URSinperson.
2. Virtual format will be April 20-22 via the SymposiumOne platform. No space limitations. Additionally, students who participate in person are welcome to add their work to the virtual platform. Abstract, poster and video will be requested on the registration form. The deadline for registration is April 7. Event information and registration can be at bit.ly/URSvirtual.
Questions about any of these programs and opportunities can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.