October 3, 2017
October is Exercise is Medicine on Campus month
The kinesiology department and the Kinesiology Student Association, or KSA, will bring the global health initiative, Exercise is Medicine on Campus, to K-State in October. Exercise is Medicine on Campus is a program calling on universities and colleges to engage in the promotion of physical activity as a vital sign of health. Earlier this year, President Richard Myers signed a proclamation declaring October as Exercise is Medicine on Campus month.
Exercise is Medicine was originally formed in 2007 between the American Medical Association and the American College of Sports Medicine. The initial purpose of Exercise is Medicine was to make the scientifically proven benefits of physical activity the standard in the U.S. health care system.
The kinesiology department and KSA will host different activities for students, faculty and staff throughout the month. Two large events highlight the month. Steve Blair, internationally renowned expert on the connection between physical activity and health, will give a lecture at 2:30 p.m. Oct. 17 in Forum Hall in the K-State Student Union. Blair is most known for his research on lifestyle and health, with a specific emphasis on exercise, physical fitness, body composition and chronic disease. To close out the month, an all-university campus walk will be at 12:30 p.m. Oct. 24 starting in Bosco Student Plaza. Raffle prizes will be given away at the conclusion of the walk.
For more information on the initiative, please contact Lauren McDaniel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following is a full schedule of events:
• Oct. 4 — Free K-State CrossFit/Exercise is Medicine on Campus, noon to 1:30 p.m. in Bosco Student Plaza.
• Oct. 11 — Exercise is Medicine on Campus Fitness Assessment Stations, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in Bosco Student Plaza.
• Oct. 17 — Steve Blair seminar lecture, 2:30 p.m. at Forum Hall in the K-State Student Union.
• Oct. 20 — Q&A session with Alumni Entrepreneur Award winner Brett Bartholomew, 12:30-1:30 p.m. in 164 Justin Hall.
• Oct. 24 — Exercise is Medicine on Campus Campus Walk, 12:30 p.m., starting in Bosco Student Plaza.