October 31, 2023
K-State joins National First-generation Student Celebration with a week of events
Join the First-generation Student Center in celebrating the first-generation community National First-Generation Student Celebration week of events Nov. 6-10.
First-generation students are those whose neither parent nor guardian earned a four-year college degree, and they comprise more than 25% of K-State’s undergraduate students.
The following is the calendar of events:
Monday, Nov. 6
- Noon to 1 p.m. in Calvin Hall Room 301: Lunch with the deans of Arts and Sciences.
- 8-8:45 p.m. at the Rec Center: First-gen Cardio-Hip Hop at the Rec. Join us for a fun workout.
Tuesday, Nov. 7
- 4-5 p.m. Forum Hall at the K-State Student Union: Third annual Tri-Alpha Honor Society's Induction Ceremony. Celebrate our high achieving first-generation students, and our faculty and alumni honorees.
Wednesday, Nov. 8
- 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Union courtyard: First-generation Student Celebration, Nacho average student. Stop by to meet other first-gen students, faculty and staff. Get a Proud to be First T-shirt, grab some food at the nacho bar and take photos at the photo booth.
- Noon to 1 p.m. at the Union courtyard: Proud to Be First Scholarship Awards. Join us in awarding fourteen Proud to be First Scholarships to undergraduate and graduate students.
Thursday, Nov. 9
- Noon to 1 p.m. in the College Center Conference Room, K-State Salina: First-generation Celebration Lunch.
- 6-9 p.m. Bon fire at Britt's Farm. Join us for a fun evening and make new friends.
- Check out first-generation students, faculty and staff stories in our social media channels @KStateFGSC.
- Proud to Be First signature barista choice, available at Cornerstone locations in Wefald Hall and Jardine Apartments. Let the barista know your choice of beverage, that you are celebrating First-gen Student week, and they will upgrade the size of your purchase.
- Download a Zoom virtual background available ksu.edu/firstgen. Pick from any of the Zoom backgrounds that identify you as a first-gen student, graduate or ally.
Special thanks to our campus partners for their collaboration and support: Career Center, Carl R. Ice College of Engineering, Center for Risk Management, College of Agriculture, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Education, College of Health and Human Sciences, department of agricultural economics, department of geography and geospatial sciences, Housing and Dining Services, K State Alumni Association, K-State Global Campus, Office of Recruitment and Admissions, KSU Foundation, Recreational Services, Scholar Services, TRIO Educational Supportive Services and Union Program Council.