October 21, 2021
Collegian Media Group wins multiple awards at National College Media Convention
Kansas State University's Collegian Media Group won multiple awards at the National College Media Convention on Oct. 14-16. The Associated Collegiate Press and College Media Association co-organized the virtual event.
The 2020 Royal Purple yearbook was among five yearbook finalists for the Pacemaker Award. The Pacemaker is considered the Pulitzer of college journalism.
"We spend countless hours working on the Royal Purple each year and always aim to create a quality yearbook no matter what, even during a pandemic," said Hallie Everett, Royal Purple editor-in-chief. "After the two unique and challenging years we've had, it is especially meaningful for our hard work to be recognized because we are proud of what we accomplished."
The 2021 Royal Purple yearbook won second place and The Collegian newspaper won fifth place in the American Collegiate Press best of show competition.
"We're growing with every edition we put out, and recognition like this shows we're headed in the right direction," said Jared Shuff, editor-in-chief of the Collegian.
Students who attended the convention also chose from more than 100 educational sessions and networked with other college media students and professional journalists from across the country.
2021 Associated Collegiate Press best of show awards
• Third place, Advertising Rate Card, Collegian Media Group
2021 Associated Collegiate Press individual awards
- First place, Yearbook Page Design, Royal Purple, Amanda Wollesen.
- Fourth place, COVID-19 Design/Visual Coverage, Julie Freijat.
- Honorable mention, Newspaper Front Page, The Collegian, Julie Freijat.
- Honorable mention, Newspaper Page Design, The Collegian Julie Freijat.
- Honorable mention, Yearbook Cover Design, Royal Purple, Katie Harbert.
- Honorable mention, Sports Feature Photo, The Collegian, Sophie Osborn.
2021 College Media Association Pinnacle individual awards
- First place, Best Magazine Feature Page Design, Concha Campa.
- First place, Best Yearbook Feature Page Design, Katie Harbert, Julie Freijat.
- Second place, Best Magazine Sports Page Design, Manhappenin' magazine, Kate Torline.
- Second place, Best Yearbook Cover, Royal Purple, Katie Harbert.
- Second place, Best Division Page Design, Royal Purple, Katie Harbert.
- Honorable mention, Best Magazine Contents Page, Manhappenin' magazine, Holly Delay.
- Honorable mention, Best Yearbook Sports Page, Royal Purple, Maren O'Connell.
You can support our students and their efforts by donating to the Collegian Media Group's student scholarship fund.