May 11, 2021
The 2021 Legislative Veto Session adjourned Friday, May 7. In the final legislative week, the Legislature overrode the governor's veto on four of eight bills. The Legislature did not override any of the 18 governor’s vetoes in the budget bill passed before first adjournment in April. The Legislature will meet for Sine Die on May 26. This is possibly the last session until the Legislature convenes on Jan. 10, 2022.
Among bills passed last week, the Legislature approved an omnibus budget bill that included an additional $53 million in funds to higher education for meeting a maintenance of effort requirement to be eligible for federal education stimulus dollars.
The $53 million is appropriated as follows:
- $15 million to the postsecondary education operation grant for programs suggested by the institutions.
- $10 million to the Board of Regents for need-based aid and student recruitment.
- $8 million addition to the comprehensive grant program — $4 million for universities and $4 million for independent colleges.
- $5 million to the community colleges.
- $4.3 million to the tech colleges for capital outlay to be used for equipment only.
- $10 million for the Promise Scholarship Act.
If you have an interest in any bill or issue and would like to know the status, please email email@example.com and we will respond to your inquiry.