February 4, 2020
This week begins the fourth week of the Kansas Legislative Session. Activity in committee meetings and the budget subcommittees have ramped up this week. The constitutional amendment "Value Them Both" restricts the Kansas Supreme Court's ruling stating abortion is an absolute right. The constitutional amendment resolution passed the Senate last week and is now before the House of Representatives.
Committee activity of interest this week includes:
- House Agriculture Committee discusses HB 2437, prohibiting the use of identifiable meat terms on labels.
- Joint meeting of Senate and House Commerce Committees to receive the annual report on STAR Bonds.
- Senate Commerce Committee will hear from Blake Flanders, "How Higher Education Drives Workforce and Economic Development."
- Joint Committee on State Building Construction to review postsecondary capital improvements.
Information on all committee meetings can be found on the House and Senate calendars.
Kansas Legislative Review Sessions will be from noon to 1 p.m. in the K-State Student Union on the dates below. These are brown bag lunch sessions open to all campus faculty, staff and students.
- Feb. 7, Union Cottonwood Room.
- Feb. 14, Union Room 209.
- Feb. 28, Union Room 209.
- March 6, Union Room 209.
- March 13, Union Cottonwood Room.
- March 20, Union Cottonwood Room.
- March 27, Union Cottonwood Room.
- April 3, Union Cottonwood Room.
- April 10, Union Cottonwood Room.
For information and questions regarding the 2020 Legislature, contact the Office of Government Relations at email@example.com or 785-532-6227