May 6, 2019
High hazard chemical disposal
Please review your chemical inventories for the presence of reactive materials for disposal. These reactive chemicals include but are not limited to:
- Peroxide forming compounds — 1,4-dioxane, THF, potassium metal
- Multi-nitrated compounds and shock sensitive compounds — picric acid, dinitrophenylhydrazine, TNT
- Organic peroxides and temperature sensitive materials
- Azo and Azide compounds — sodium azide
- Water reactive compounds — Trifluoroacetic anhydride, Lithium hydride
The K-State Department of Environmental Health and Safety will schedule a high-hazard chemical disposal contractor to come to K-State in late May to pick up these chemicals that have strict transport and disposal requirements. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for these chemicals by May 10.
This service requires a specialized team. To capitalize on this service and ensure the safety of our labs, please inspect your chemical inventories for these compounds that may be past their expiration date, have not been properly inhibited, or no longer needed. Identify any other unstable materials or unwanted chemicals with the potential to become unstable.
If you have any questions please contact Shauna-Kay Walder, hazardous waste technician, at email@example.com or call the main office at 785-532-5856.