January 30, 2019
Requests for reclassification accepted beginning Feb. 1
Requests for reclassification are accepted during two windows, one in the spring semester and another in the fall. Reclassifications will be effective on the dates listed below. Retroactive reclassifications will not be processed.
Requests will be collected from Feb. 1 to March 15 — effective June 16. Employees will see changes reflected in their July 12, 2019, paycheck.
Please keep the following in mind when considering reclassification for positions.
- Reclassification is reserved for positions that have undergone significant and permanent changes in duties and responsibilities. It is not a mechanism to grant an employee a salary increase. Salary increase requests can be made throughout the year and should be submitted using the Base Salary Increase Form.
- The employee in the position being requested for reclassification must have at least six months of experience performing the new job duties required of the position.
- A request for reclassification does not guarantee any particular outcome and may result in a pay grade increase, decrease or no change. Once finalized, the PER-2 that accompanies the reclassification report must be submitted to finalize the process.
- The job duties and responsibilities included in the Request for Reclassification Form will serve as the official position description on file for the position when the process is complete regardless of the outcome.
Supervisors and managers should contact their departmental Human Capital Services liaison or budget/fiscal officer to initiate a request for reclassification. Updated links to the Request for Reclassification Form will be provided to budget/fiscal officers or human resources administrators ahead of Feb. 1.
Spring reclassification timeline:
- All portions of the Request for Reclassification Form — employee, supervisor and manager — will be accepted Feb. 1 through 11:59 p.m. March 8.
- The week of March 9 through at 11:59 p.m. March 15 is reserved for employees and managers to submit their portion. No new requests for reclassification will be accepted from supervisors after March 8.
Human Capital Services encourages supervisors and managers to learn more about the request for reclassification process, and know when to request a reclassification of an employee's position. Additional resources for supervisors and managers also are available.
New this window — Human Capital Services will offer training from 2-4 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12. This session will provide an overview of reclassification, how requests are made and processed, review of several examples and address common questions. If this is your first time submitting a request or you would like a refresher course, please plan on joining us. Registration is available through HRIS — in person, "Guidelines Position Reclass," or via Zoom, "Guidelines for Reclass."
If you have questions before proceeding with a reclassification request, or want to discuss whether a position would be eligible for reclassification prior to submitting, please reach out to HCS Talent Solutions — Compensation and Organizational Effectiveness at 785-532-1866 or firstname.lastname@example.org.