January 18, 2019
Welcome back with Week of Welcome Events
A variety of events will welcome new and returning students to the K-State campus during the spring 2019 Week of Welcome.
The official Week of Welcome kickoff is a new program bringing the childhood favorite game to life in Hungry Hungry Humans from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22, in the K-State Student Union courtyard. Bring a team or create one on the spot; all participants will earn an entry into the Week of Welcome grand prize drawing and the team with the highest scores will earn a prize.
New this semester is a drive benefiting Cats' Cupboard. Donations will be collected at a number of events throughout the week and at the Union Welcome Desk from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday. To view current needs of Cats' Cupboard and other accepted items for donation, please visit its website.
Additionally, participants at Hungry Hungry Humans, Jumbo Ball Pit, Gift Basket Bingo and Free for All Friday will receive an entry into the Week of Welcome grand prize drawing. Those who make a donation to Cats' Cupboard will also receive an entry for each item donated. Winners of the grand prize drawing will be announced on Wednesday, Jan. 30. Prizes include Keurig Mini, Ozark Trail Cooler and Fatboy Lounger, K-State Fan Pack, Instant Pot, Nintendo NES Classic Edition and Controller, Beats X Wireless Earphones, Amazon Echo and iHome Speaker/Clock, two hammocks and Giant Jumbling Tower, and a Kodak Mini 2 Instant Photo Printer.
Other Week of Welcome events:
Tuesday, Jan. 22
- The geology department will host "From the Planet We Love and Beyond" exhibit in Thompson Hall all week from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
- Pre-Law Open House at 4 p.m. in 215 Fairchild Hall sponsored by Office of Pre-Law Advising and Pre-Law Ambassadors. Refreshments and snacks will be provided.
Wednesday, Jan. 23
- Have you ever wanted to simply sit in a ball pit for a while? Well here's your chance. Visit the Jumbo Ball Pit to make a new friend, grab snacks, or laugh at stories shared from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the K-State Student Union courtyard. This event is sponsored by Housing and Dining Services, Diversity and Multicultural Student Affairs, and the Center for Student Involvement.
- Join the College of Human Ecology for a Coffee Bar from 9-11 a.m. in Justin Hall's Hoffman Lounge.
- Peer Advocates for Mental Wellness and Success, or P.A.W.S, will host Cats, Crafts and Cameras from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the K-State Student Union K Ballroom and Cottonwood rooms.
- What makes the traditional game of bingo even better? Making it Gift Basket Bingo! Choose from one of the many themed gift baskets when you win. Bring a friend, grab some snacks and play a round. Gift Basket Bingo will take place from 6-8 p.m. in the K-State Student Union courtyard.
Thursday, Jan. 24
- Join the Transfer Student Association for a Meet and Greet from 5-6 p.m. in the Berney Family Welcome Center.
- The Beach Museum of Art will host an East Meets West Game Night from 5-7 p.m. in the UMB Theater.
- Learn about more than 500 student organizations on campus and join one that interests you at the 2019 Spring Activities Carnival from 6-8 p.m. in the K-State Student Union. The Center for Student Involvement will give away fruit-infuser water bottles at this event as well. Still need to register your organization? Visit the website to register.
Friday, Jan. 25
- Just as the name suggests, Free for All Friday, is an expo-style event with information about different departments on campus and an opportunity to collect some great freebies. Hot chocolate, cookies, phone wallets and buttons are just a few of the things you might be able to walk away with during this event from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the K-State Student Union courtyard.
- Catch the Union Program Council Film showing of "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms" at 7 and 9:15 p.m. in Forum Hall at the K-State Student Union.
- Get your painting on during Happy Trees Painting sponsored by Union Program Council at 7 and 9 p.m. in the K-State Student Union courtyard. View kstateupc.com for more information and sign ups.
Saturday, Jan. 26
- Miss the first chance, or want to see it again? Check out the Union Program Council Film showing of "The Nutcracker and the Four Realms" at 7 and 9:15 p.m. in Forum Hall at the K-State Student Union.
Tuesday, Jan. 29
- One round isn't enough when it comes to Gift Basket Bingo! Join us for this larger version of the same game at 6:30 p.m. in the Wildcat Chamber at the K-State Student Union.
For a full list of Week of Welcome events, visit wow.k-state.edu.