September 19, 2017
Interior architecture & product design students to present at an international conference
Submitted by Division of Communications and Marketing
Research papers by 24 master's students in interior architecture & product design at Kansas State University's College of Architecture, Planning & Design, known as APDesign, have been accepted for presentation at an international conference.
The students wrote the papers as members of teams for the Design Research course taught by Vibhavari Jani, associate professor of interior architecture and product design. The papers will be presented at the 10th annual International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, Nov. 16-18, in Seville, Spain. This is one of the largest international education conferences for educators, researchers, technologists and professionals. More than 700 experts from 80 countries will get together to present their research projects.
Jani challenged her class to investigate how students are utilizing informal learning environments at mid-western institutes of higher learning, which is the focus of the research papers.
The following students were members of a team that had its paper selected for presentation at the conference:
Kendra Lemon, Chapman; Lance Maine, Gypsum; Laura Pinilla and Sloan Satterlee, both from Manhattan; Hana Robinson, Newton; Janelle Headrick, Parkerfield; Craig Farmer, Russell; Malia Young, Salina; Jevin Yoder, Topeka; and Molly Gardner and Allie Scripsick, both from Wichita.
From out of state:
Sichao Wang, San Francisco, California; Jamie Causey, Centennial, Colorado; Madeline Appel, Denver, Colorado.
From Missouri: Rebecca Keating, Adrian; Whitney Allen and Chelsea Bainbridge, both from Kansas City; Elizabeth Witsken, Platte City; Natalie Hill, Riverside; Abigail Reese, Springfield; and Sarah Cooper, St. Peters.
Hannah Gwartney, Alexandria, Virginia.
From out of country: Yue Fei and Zijun "Sunny" Zhao, both from China.
The following papers and posters will be presented at the conference:
• The paper "Acoustic and visual privacy in postsecondary informal learning environments" by authors Janelle Headrick, Allie Scripsick, Elizabeth Witsken and Jevin Yoder.
• The paper "Assessing millennial student dependability on technology within higher education collaborative environments" by authors Whitney Allen, Natalie Hill, Abigail Reese and Hana Robinson.
• The paper "Informal learning environments: Addressing the psychological, social and cultural needs of multicultural and multigenerational students engaging in project based collaboration" by authors Chelsea Bainbridge, Yue Fei, Lance Maine and Sichao Wang.
• The paper "Influences of informal collaborative learning environments on the learning outcomes of students" by authors Craig Farmer, Sloan Satterlee, Malia Young and Sunny Zhao.
• The poster "Lighting strategy for informal collaborative learning environments: Lighting design's impact on the productivity and satisfaction of collaborators" by authors Kendra Lemon, Laura Pinilla, Rebecca Keating and Sarah Cooper.
• The poster "Anthropometrics and ergonomics in correlation to effective informal learning environments" by authors Madeline Appel, Jamie Causey, Molly Gardner and Hannah Gwartney.