August 6, 2015
Eight students receive awards at Research Experience for Undergraduates poster session
The joint Research Experience for Undergraduates poster session was July 30 in the K-State Student Union.
Nearly 35 students presented their research and participated in the Summer Academy in Sustainable BioEnergy Research Experience for Undergraduates; the Earth, Wind, and Fire: Sustainable Energy for the 21st Century Research Experience for Undergraduates; the Interactions of Matter, Light and Learning, the Physics Research Experience for Undergraduates program; and the Undergraduate Research & Mentoring in Ecological Genomic in the Division of Biology; and the Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program, or SUROP.
According to Mary Rezac, director for the K-State Center for Sustainable Energy, the level of research accomplishment achieved this past summer was impressive in all posters that were displayed. The outstanding quality of the posters and presentations given at the poster session made selection of the poster awards more challenging.
The following are the names of the students with top posters, their attending university and their K-State research experience program:
• First place $500: Vanessa Rickenbrode, Pennsylvania State University, community, environment and development
• Second place $400: Meaghan Dunn, University of Kentucky, biosystems engineering
• Third place $300: Ramiro Torres, Texas Tech University, physics; and Timothy Baker, Rowan University, physics
• Fourth place $200: Matthew Ramos, Kansas State University, microbiology
• Fifth place $100: Abbie Lasater, University of Arkansas, chemical engineering
The following are the names of the students who received the People's Choice Awards, the monetary award, their attending university and their K-State research experience program:
• Kyle Jensen, $250, Simpson College, Physics Research Experience for Undergraduates program
• Sanketh Kamath, $150, Arizona State University, Sustainable Bioenergy Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
• Vanessa Rickenbrode, $100, Pennsylvania State University, Sustainable Bioenergy Research Experience for Undergraduates Program
View pictures of the poster session. The Kansas State University Center for Sustainable Energy acknowledges and appreciates funding from Phillips 66 to finance the poster awards.