January 4, 2012
Highlights from the Dec. 13 Faculty Senate meeting
Here are the highlights from the Dec. 13 Faculty Senate meeting. Meeting minutes will be available on the website as they are approved by Faculty Senate.
Minutes for the Nov. 8 meeting have been posted to our website.
Dec. 13, 2011:
- Provost April Mason reported on the stages of dean searches and other topics of interest.
- Be Stoney, faculty athletics representative, gave a brief presentation on her role within athletics and how she works with student athletes.
- John Currie, athletics director, gave a presentation to senators. He updated them regarding various activities of the athletics department and also budget and possible future construction on the football stadium.
Standing committee and Student Senate reports:
- Academic Affairs: Senator Andrew Bennett presented a discussion agenda item for approval; a new graduate certificate in homeland security. This item was sent back to committee after much discussion. Consent agenda course and curriculum changes and graduation list additions were approved. The task force to review K-State 8 tagging and criteria is meeting.
- Faculty Affairs: Due to the fact the meeting was running longer than expected Senator Kaleen Knopp reported they would defer discussion and a vote on the university handbook revisions to Appendix G to the February Faculty Senate meeting. Other: Clinical faculty language has been sent forward to the Board of Regents for review.
- FSCOT: Senator David Rintoul commented on items discussed at their recent meeting regarding textbook reporting as well as the email slowness over the past few weeks.
- FSCOUP: Senator Bob Condia reported on their recent meeting. They met with local legislators Roger Reitz and Sydney Carlin to get their perspective on telling our story to state legislators.
- Student Senate: Senator Kate Bormann reported on behalf of Senator Rauth. She discussed work of the executive branch as well as the legislative branch of student senate.
- President Vontz announced Ernie Perez as the new mediation coordinator. He will begin his role Jan. 1.
- President Vontz reported that two work groups, jointly appointed by Faculty Senate and the provost, will be appointed and given their charge very soon: one to work on faculty titles and the other to review Appendix J and ppm 3010.
Faculty Senate President
Curriculum and Instruction
203 Bluemont Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506