1. Kansas State University
  2. »Division of Communications and Marketing
  3. »K-State Today
  4. »Health insurance enrollment: Plan C, health savings account, health reimbursement...

K-State Today

October 20, 2014

Health insurance enrollment: Plan C, health savings account, health reimbursement account information

Submitted by Amanda McDiffett

Health insurance open enrollment is open through Oct. 31.

With the beginning of plan year 2015, there have been additional options introduced for those with Plan C. Plan C is a high-deductible health plan that allows a smaller premium cost for the employee but has a higher deductible. Employees also will enroll in a health savings account or health reimbursement account when enrolled in Plan C.

The savings account is funded by contributions from both the employee and employer. The minimum annual contribution from the employee is $600 regardless of the coverage level. The maximum annual contribution is $1,850 for single coverage and $4,400 for family coverage.

For more information on Plan C and the health savings account please see the state of Kansas website or refer to pages 5-7 in the Health Insurance booklet

Employees may enroll in a health reimbursement account as an alternative for those enrolling in Plan C but are not eligible to contribute to a health savings account due to:

  • Medicare enrollment
  • Tri-Care enrollment
  • Veteran's administration enrollment or Veteran's administration coverage use within past three months
  • Concurrent enrollment in another health plan not considered a high deductible health plan
  • You are eligible to be claimed as a dependent under your parent's tax return
  • You have dependent children between ages 23-26 — member may choose to enroll in either the health savings account or an health reimbursement in this situation.

The health reimbursement account is funded solely by the provider and more information can be found here or refer to page 8 in the Health Insurance booklet. If the employee would like to set aside tax free funds in order to pay for health-related expenses, they would be eligible to enroll in a health care flexible spending account.

Employees who are 65 or turn 65 in plan year 2015 and subsequently are enrolled into Medicare Part A can still enroll in Plan C, but will need to enroll in a health reimbursement account.

A Q-and-A session regarding Plan C and enrollment in an health reimbursement account will be offered by the Division of Human Capital Services at 2 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 21 in Edwards Hall. Also, additional information can be found on the Human Capital Services website.

Several open enrollment webinars are available by the state of Kansas for employees wanting more information on health insurance enrollment and options for 2015:

Questions? Please contact the Division of Human Capital Services at 785-532-6277 or benefits@k-state.edu

In this issue

From the administration
News and research
Human resources, benefits and training
Kudos, publications and presentations
Publications and presentations
Newsletters, magazines and blogs