April 14, 2014
Recognize student employees during National Student Employment Week, April 14-18
Student employees are critical to university operations and serve in a wide variety of positions. Through on-campus employment, students benefit by earning money to finance college expenses, learning about career interests, accessing social and support networks, gaining skills for the post-graduate workplace and developing persistence to college graduation.
Career and employment services encourages campus supervisors to recognize their student employees during National Student Employment Week, April 14-18. Share how you are celebrating your students on Facebook and Twitter using the hashtag #KSUNSEW14. Suggestions of ways to celebrate the week include:
- Prepare "care packages" to give to student workers with popcorn, trail mix, soft drinks, hot chocolate mix, etc;
- Recognize students on social media for their unique contributions to your office;
- Pitch in and throw a pizza party, potluck, do-it-yourself sundae bar, foot-long sub party, have popcorn machine in your office, serve cake and punch, have a hamburger/hot dog BBQ, breakfast/ lunch/hors d'oeuvre/dinner;
- Take group pictures of students and their supervisor;
- Create "friendship plants" with cuttings from an office plant, put in small flower pot with card "Your roots will always be here;
- "Make "pat on the back" awards by tracing an outline of a hand on paper, make sufficient copies, write personal note on each that tells why the student deserves a pat on the back.