February 4, 2019
Announcing the 2019 James R. Coffman Leadership Institute: 'Empowered Individuals, Enhanced Institutions'
Kansas State University will present the 2019 James R. Coffman Leadership Institute Aug. 7-9. This two-and-a-half-day institute will offer faculty and unclassified staff a unique opportunity to refresh and enhance their leadership skills and knowledge. The Coffman Institute serves as a launching point for continuous leadership development, professional networking and empowerment of Kansas State University professionals.
Purpose of the institute
The three primary objectives of this institute:
- Provide opportunity for participants to refresh and develop their leadership skills in a safe yet challenging learning environment.
- Provide an opportunity for networking and interdisciplinary cooperation for faculty and staff.
- Infuse Kansas State University with more empowered faculty and staff leaders.
An essential key for leadership success in any organization is the ability to build good relationships with members of the organization. Institute participants will have the opportunity to explore and initiate collaborative projects and discuss leadership issues. They also will have the chance to strengthen current relationships and to build new ones with other professionals at Kansas State University.
Recognizing your leadership style
The James R. Coffman Leadership Institute is based on the philosophy that every individual can be a successful leader. This success depends on learning leadership skills as well as recognition of one's leadership style. Further refining of one's leadership style, understanding it's associated strengths and challenges as well as its impact on decision-making, conflict resolution, and problem-solving preferences will be a major focus of the institute.
The James R. Coffman Leadership Institute is a two-and-a-half-day experience with evening sessions. Learning activities are arranged to maximize participant learning and engage all learning styles. Topics may include inclusive leadership, conflict resolution, change management, leadership style assessment, shared leadership and team building. Formats: workshops, panel discussions, small and large group activities, small group discussions, multimedia presentations, case studies and self-assessments.
What to expect
Participants will have the opportunity to engage in a focused and in-depth adult learning experience aimed at leadership development. They will be offered knowledge and skill-based learning modules to engage them cognitively as well as behaviorally. Attendees also will have the opportunity to interact with other professionals who want to make a difference at Kansas State University. Conference activities will take place at K-State's Manhattan campus and in the local Manhattan community. As a feature of the retreat, participants will get to experience and interact with different parts of the campus and community.
More than 90 percent of past participants reported that workshops were extremely effective to effective.
- "My biggest takeaway from the institute was not learning new leadership concepts or skills but rather an increased awareness about leading on purpose and with purpose."
- "The institute has equipped me with knowledge about my strengths, which will be helpful in collaborating with others on research projects and project proposal, and leading my research them. My goal is harnessing my strengths to improve my research program."
- "My expectations were pretty high, and you managed to surpass them."
- "Both the community building and leadership goals were definitely met."
- "Very effective … well organized, meaningful sessions and activities."
How to apply
This year the Coffman Leadership Institute will accept nominations in a new format. Interested individuals may self-nominate or a nomination can be submitted by a dean, director, or department head. In the case of a self-nomination, the nominee's dean, director or department head will be asked to confirm support of the nominee. All nominations can be completed via the 2019 James R. Coffman Leadership Institution Nomination form.
The nomination deadline is Friday, March 8.
Before submitting a nomination, all applicants should be available to attend the institute in its entirety and be in good standing with his/her department. Please do not self-nominate or nominate individuals who have previously attended a James R. Coffman Leadership Institute.