Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan Application Steps
- Apply for the PLUS Loan. To apply for the loan, the parent-borrower should sign in to studentaid.gov using their Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID). Those without an existing FSA ID will be required to create one. Do not use the student's FSA ID.
- Authorize a Credit Check. The parent-borrower will be asked to authorize a credit check when applying for the PLUS Loan. We will receive confirmation of the credit decision along with the amount requested. If the credit is approved, our office will accept the loan in KSIS. If the loan request is more than the parent is eligible, the amount of the loan will be reduced accordingly.
- Authorization for school to use loan funds to satisfy other charges. The Direct PLUS Loan Application allows the parent-borrower to authorize the school to use loan funds to satisfy other educationally related charges after tuition and fees, and room and board have been paid. Other educationally related charges may include athletic tickets, parking permits, library services, student health services, etc.
- Complete the Master Promissory Note. If this is the first Parent PLUS Loan for this student, the parent-borrower will be required to complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) through studentaid.gov.
- Credit balance options. To ensure timely and secure delivery of any excess refund, consider direct deposit.
- If the student has been designated to receive the refund, the student may want to establish direct deposit with the University Cashier's Office.
- If the parent-borrower opts to receive the refund, he/she should submit the direct deposit form to the University Cashier's Office.
- If direct deposit is not set up, a paper refund check will be issued.