Frequently Asked Questions

Can I apply if I don’t have a background in sociology?

Yes. The program has admitted students without any background in sociology or other social science fields. Such students may be required to take an upper level undergraduate course in theory and/or research methods to make sure that they are prepared for graduate level work in the field.

Can I apply to the Ph.D. program if I do not have a master’s degree?

All Ph.D. applicants are required to have a master’s degree. If you apply to the Ph.D. program without a master’s degree, or (as it may happen with international students) your degree is from another country and is not accepted by KSU as an equivalent to a US master’s degree, you will be considered for admission to the MA program.

Do I need to reapply if I complete my master’s degree at KSU and would like to continue for a Ph.D.?

Yes. This process is internal, and you will need to fill out the required Graduate School application form and provide application materials, including your letter of intent, current curriculum vitae, and three letters of recommendation. You do not need to pay application fees. Please see the Graduate Director if you have questions about this process.

Can I apply as a non-degree student and switch later?

Yes. Non-degree admission counts as “special admission”. The admission requirements and procedures are the same. Please note that no more than 9 credit hours earned as a non-degree student can be applied toward a regular graduate degree. Also, non-degree students are not eligible for departmental funding.

What are the English proficiency requirements for international applicants?

These requirements are determined by the university and not the program. View the international student application requirements. Please keep in mind that sociology requires a strong command of English, and students are expected to read and write a considerable amount of text during their graduate studies.

Do I need to take a TOEFL/IELTS if my degree is from the US?

It depends on the date of your degree. An applicant who has received a degree in the last two years from a United States college or university is exempt from this requirement.

Can I transfer courses from other graduate programs?

Graduate transfers or waivers are decided on a case by case basis after a careful comparison of the coursework and material covered elsewhere. Transfers are limited to theory and methods classes, electives are not transferable. Transfer decision are made after a student was accepted and decided to join the program.

How should I submit my application materials?

All application materials (outlined on our Apply page) need to be uploaded to CollegeNet. Please do not send anything to the department, unless specifically asked by our staff.