This section provides tools, templates, and information to help prepare proposal budgets.
Use these fringe benefit rates when developing budgets.
These rates apply to all sponsored project activity, including federal, non-federal, and private sector sponsors. For more details, view the Guide to Facilities and Administrative Costs (PDF).
- Developing your budget: Use this NIH guide for helpful general information.
- K-State guide to facilities and administrative costs (PDF): Use this guide to learn the basics.
- Equipment definition: Equipment means an article of non-expendable, tangible personal property having a useful life of more than one year and an acquisition cost of $5,000 or more per unit.
- Allowable and unallowable costs: This guide is from K-State Division of Financial Services.
- Guide to differentiating sponsored projects (PDF): Use this guide to determine when external funds to be received by Kansas State University should be administered as a sponsored project, a fee for service activity, or a gift.
- Subrecipient, consultant, and vendor determination checklist (PDF): Use this checklist to determine what type of relationship is most appropriate for your sponsored project when working with an individual, company, or organization.
- Federal information security requirements / CUI: Budget properly to safeguard information as required by specific funding agencies.
- Tuition and student aid payments (PDF)
Budget development worksheets and templates
- Standard budget worksheet (.xlsx)
- Industry/fully loaded rates worksheet (.xlsx): Convert a typical university budget to a fully burdened budget with this worksheet.
- Sample budget justification (.doc)
- Budget worksheet FAQs (pdf) , Word version (.doc)
- University salary and tuition requirements (.xls)