Conferral and Additional Verification:
Degree conferral only occurs three times each year, after the conclusion of the Fall, Spring, and Summer terms. The conferral date is the date that will be posted on the official transcript and the diploma. This is the date when the degree is considered officially awarded. A degree is a credential. There are four ways to provide evidence of that credential:
- Official transcripts. To order official transcripts, see the Transcript Ordering page. If you are an upcoming graduate you will want to ask for the transcript to be held pending final grades and conferral of the degree.
- Diploma. If you are graduating in the current semester your official K-State diploma will be processed and mailed to the address in the system within 4-6 weeks after the grade submission deadline. If you need an additional copy or if you would like to order a replacement copy please see the Duplicate Diploma Ordering section for instructions on how to order reprints of your diploma.
- National Student Clearinghouse. You can access degree verifications through the National Student Clearinghouse; click on the “Verify a Degree, Past Attendance or Certification” link. If you cannot access this site, please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Formal Letter of Completion (Award Letter) or Early Certification Letter (prior to graduation). You may order a Completion/Award Letter directly with the Registrar’s Office. Requests for letters are NOT available for same-day pick-up and can take a minimum of two to three business days to generate during normal working times. During Peak Times, i.e. end of a semester, it can take five to seven business days or more to generate.
- In an effort to ensure all graduating students are processed in a timely and efficient manner, the Formal Letter option is not available to graduating students once the semester has ended (beginning of final exam week in the fall/spring semesters).
- In order to process a request for an Upon Completion Letter (issued prior to official graduation), a student must show registration for all remaining coursework needed for degree completion. In other words, if you are graduating in the summer semester, your summer registration at K-State must be on record/processed before the Office of the Registrar can issue a letter.
- If you feel you have an extenuating circumstance, please contact the Office of the Registrar for assistance. International students who need to send proof to their sponsors should confirm with the Office of International Programs: Special Programs & Sponsored Students if this information will be or already has been provided. If not, then you would show proof via the Official Transcript option.
The documents listed above are available to students who have completed all of their degree requirements and have had their degrees conferred.
K-State degrees will not be posted on the student’s record until the degree conferral date has been reached for the semester in which the degree is being awarded. Completion of all requirements prior to the official degree conferral date will not result in an early conferral of the degree. A student in this situation can request an official “Completion Letter” from the Office showing pending conferral of the degree. The degree will be conferred for the term in which the requirements were completed.