Paying for College


Estimated costs of taking classes at K-State are in the Undergraduate or Graduate Catalogs. For the exact amount, call the Enrollment Services office of the Registrar at 210 Willard Hall, 785-539-6321. The total cost varies according to the number of hours you take and is based on tuition, student's resident status, undergraduate/graduate classification, campus services, and privilege fees. The Student Financial Assistance office, 104 Fairchild, has a brochure that estimates costs at K-State, including books and supplies.

Other costs

Most non-traditional students must consider the cost of college in terms of money and time, as well as physical and emotional energy. The majority of courses at K-State are offered for three credit hours. Generally, this means the class will be held for three 50-minute periods or two 75-minute periods each week for 16 weeks. Evening courses usually meet one night a week for 2 to 3 hours.

In most cases, a full- or part-time schedule can be arranged in order to only be on campus two or three days a week. For example, a student may enroll in two courses for a total of six hours, and select courses that meet on Tuesdays and Thursdays. A Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule is another possibility.

Going to college takes effort and requires plenty of physical and emotional stamina. If you have been out of school for a while, or have never attended college, you may want to begin with only one or two courses. You can add more courses the next semester/term as you become more academically proficient and comfortable.

Financial assistance

As you make plans for attending college, consider all options for meeting college costs such as personal earnings or savings, grants, and scholarships, federal loan programs, and campus employment.

Student Financial Assistance opens the door for many who could not otherwise afford the costs of higher education. The four general kinds of financial aid that are available include: 1) award grants based on financial need, 2) campus and non-campus scholarships based on academic merit and/or financial need, 3) student loans based on financial need, and 4) on-campus "workstudy" employment, which is tied to financial need.

Grants and loans

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available at the Office of Student Financial Assistance or is available on the Internet at Many undergraduate students are eligible for some type of aid (grants or loans) through this application. Graduate students may be eligible for low interest loans. Each student is provided a financial aid counselor based on the first letter of their last name. Funds are limited, so make sure the application is turned in before the March 1 priority deadline of the preceding academic year. The application must be renewed each year. Several brochures are available that contain helpful information. You are encouraged to apply for financial aid.

NOTICE: The current FAFSA application does not include questions related to childcare needs. If you have child care needs, fill out a childcare cost sheet and then submit information to the Office of Student Financial Assistance. If there are changes in your financial status (quiting work to return to school, reducing work hours, extra medical expenses, etc.) there may be justification for a change in your financial aid funding. Ask for a Professional Judgment Appeal Form and make and appointment with your financial aid counselor. Direct all forms, questions, and requests for information to the Office of Student Financial Assistance, 104 Fairchild Hall, 785-532-6420.

Part-time employment

Campus and community part-time jobs are listed at Career and Employment Services, Holtz Hall. A list can also be found on the Career Center website. The Career Center uses Handshake to post available positions.

All prospective students are encouraged to apply for financial aid in order to determine eligibility for work-study awards.