May 7, 2021
Developing Scholars Program selects 2020-2021 awardees
The Developing Scholars Program, now in its 21st year at K-State, is a program in the Office of Undergraduate Research & Creative Inquiry. It offers high-achieving, serious-minded, historically underrepresented — defined as an undergraduate student who is first-generation of any background or is a member of a group that has been historically underrepresented in higher education — students research projects in their field of study with faculty mentors. Scholars will receive academic, social and financial support as they engage in the intellectual climate of the university.
Each year the program selects student awardees. Award recipients are selected from faculty nominations as well are Developing Scholars Program staff nominations. We are grateful to previous K-State faculty and staff who help to fund the Developing Scholars Program awards. Congratulations to all 2020-2021 student awardees.
Promise Award. This award is given to Developing Scholars Program students who show a lot of promise in the first year of research in their lab and who maintain a solid academic record.
- Ana Herrera; faculty mentor, Gary Brase.
- Juliet Nava-Chavez; faculty mentor, Robert DeLong.
- Agel Yor; faculty mentor, Sherry Haar.
Coffman Excellence in Research Awards. This award is given for excellence in research, student engagement and accomplishments.
- First year: Brian Garcia Sandoval; faculty mentor, Bethany Plakke.
- First year, honorable mention: Ruth Mekuria; faculty mentor, Phillip Klebba.
- Second year: Jacob Rico-Martinez; faculty mentor, Dave Thompson.
- Second year, honorable mention: Jesus Gonzalez-Morales; faculty mentor, Ryan Rafferty.
- Third year: Elena Carlos; faculty mentor, Sara Rosenkranz.
- Third year, honorable mention: Derrius Washington; faculty mentor, Rachel Levitt.
Pay it Forward. This award goes to scholars whose passionate engagement with their projects and their generosity toward their fellow scholars suggest they will pay it forward one day.
- Melina Alferoff; faculty mentor, Trisha Moore.
- Maria Izquierdo; faculty mentor, Jennifer Francois.
Frank Cortez Memorial Award. Developed to honor the father of Anita Cortez and goes to a scholar who shows strong intelligence and a passion for social justice.
- Moises Alvarez; faculty mentor, Don Saucier.
Diligence Award. The Diligence Award goes to students who show commitment and growth during their time at K-State.
- Aaron Moore; faculty mentor, Lisa Wilken.
- Sarah Weekes; faculty mentor, Cassandra Jones.
- Alayshia Jacobs; faculty mentor, Travis Linnemann.
Above and Beyond Awards. Go to scholars who have done well in their research and beyond.
- Jared Newell; faculty mentor, Thomas Mueller.
Eyes on the Prize Award. Goes to a student who has steadfastly kept their focus on their future.
- Nhicolas Aponte; faculty mentor, Eugene Vasserman.
Rita G. Perez Exemplary Scholar Award. Honors a scholar who, like Rita Perez herself, exemplifies the whole package.
- Diana Najera; faculty mentor, Maureen Gorman.
Anita Cortez Award. Is awarded to a student for excellence in research, innovative thinking, grit and work toward social justice.
- Maria Herrera; faculty mentor, Trisha Moore.