K-State Mentors from the Fall 2021 GROW Saturday Workshop
Fall 2023 GROW Saturday Workshop Mentors -- October 7, 2023
Mentors are paid staff members of the KAWSE Office who serve as group leaders at our GROW Saturday Workshops. Mentors are responsible for chaperoning a group of students, usually 8-10 at a time, to a schedule of activities set out for them when they sign up for one of our workshops. Mentors are paid $9 per hour and receive a free lunch at events. Hours of employment are 8 AM - 4 PM. This position is intended for undergraduate students.
GROW Saturday Workshop Mentor Application
GROW Saturday Workshop Mentor Position Description
8:00 AM Set-up/Prepare for the Event
9:00 AM Students Check in
9:30 AM Opening Session
10:00 AM Activity Session 1*
11:00 AM Activity Session 2*
12:00 PM Lunch
1:00 PM Activity Session 3*
2:00 PM Activity Session 4*
3:00 PM Closing Session
4:00 PM Day concludes
*The activity sessions are led by volunteer faculty and student groups. You are there to help the facilitator as needed (passing out supplies, making sure students are engaged and paying attention to the instructor). You would also be responsible for facilitating some team-building/ice breaker activities during down time with your group.
GROW/EXCITE Summer Workshop Mentors - June 5-7, 2024
Summer Mentors are paid members of the K-State Office for the Advancement of Women in Science and Engineering (KAWSE) staff. The mentor works directly with the GROW and EXCITE Summer Workshops, hosted early June each year. As a member of the KAWSE summer staff, the mentor occupies a crucial role in enriching the experiences of middle-school and high-school participants in the workshops through role modeling appropriate behavior, mentoring prospective students, and supervising underage participants during activities and overnight stays in the residence halls.
Summer Mentor Duties
Position A (approx. 20 positions available)
Position B (max of 2 positions available)
- Available for training during the day and evening on Tuesday
- Available 24/7 for the entirety of the summer workshop program, Wednesday-Thursday
- Kansas State University undergraduate student enrolled in Spring 2024 semester
- Meets all eligibility requirements for K-State student employee hire
- Interest in supporting the advancement of women in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
- Ability to make safe and appropriate decisions independently
- Effective communication skills with students, peers, and supervisors
- Sensitivity and attention to students with special needs and accommodations, as well as an ability to foster a welcoming and inclusive event
- Previous mentoring experience
- Mentors are paid $400 for the week
- Meals and lodging included for 4 days (3 nights)
The online form to apply will be posted here once available.
Interviews for summer mentors will begin in March 2024 and will continue until all positions are filled.
Please contact our office at email@example.com or 785-532-6088 for additional information!