K-State Mentors from the Fall 2021 GROW Saturday Workshop
Spring 2022 GROW Saturday Workshop Mentors -- April 2, 2022
Mentors are paid staff members of the KAWSE Office who serve as group leaders at our GROW Saturday Workshops. Mentors are responsible for chaperoning a group of students, usually 8-10 at a time, to a schedule of activities set out for them when they sign up for one of our workshops. Mentors are paid $9 per hour and receive a free lunch at events. This position is intended for undergraduate students.
We are now accepting applications for our GROW Saturday Workshop on April 2, 2022. The hours of employment are 8 AM - 4 PM at a rate of $9/hour. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. To apply, please complete our online application form: https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0GGHSzQbW9DsmCq.
The event schedule is as follows:
8:00 AM Set-up/Prepare for the Event
9:00 AM Students Check in
9:30 AM Opening Session
10:00 AM Activity Session 1*
11:00 AM Activity Session 2*
12:00 PM Lunch
1:00 PM Activity Session 3*
2:00 PM Activity Session 4*
3:00 PM Closing Session
4:00 PM Day concludes
*The activity sessions are led by volunteer faculty and student groups. You are there to help the facilitator as needed (passing out supplies, making sure students are engaged and paying attention to the instructor). You would also be responsible for facilitating some team-building/ice breaker activities during down time with your group.
GROW/EXCITE Summer Workshop Mentors - June 7-10, 2022
Summer Mentors are paid members of the K-State Office for the Advancement of Women in Science and Engineering (KAWSE) staff. The mentor works directly with the GROW and EXCITE Summer Workshops, hosted June 7-10, 2022. As a member of the KAWSE summer staff, the mentor occupies a crucial role in enriching the experiences of middle-school and high-school participants in the workshops through role modeling appropriate behavior, mentoring prospective students, and supervising underage participants during activities and overnight stays in the residence halls.
Summer Mentor Duties
Position A (approx. 20 positions available)
Position B (max of 2 positions available)
- Available for training during the day and evening on June 7, 2022
- Available 24/7 for the entirety of the summer workshop program, June 8-10, 2022
- Kansas State University undergraduate student enrolled in Spring 2022 semester
- Meets all eligibility requirements for K-State student employee hire
- Interest in supporting the advancement of women in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM)
- Ability to make safe and appropriate decisions independently
- Effective communication skills with students, peers, and supervisors
- Sensitivity and attention to students with special needs and accommodations, as well as an ability to foster a welcoming and inclusive event
- Previous mentoring experience
- Mentors are paid $400 for the week
- Meals and lodging included for 4 days (3 nights)
Please complete our online form: https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0Utfotw6yatNC4e
Interviews will begin in March and continue until all positions are filled.
Summer Student Office Assistant
KAWSE seeks applications for an undergraduate Student Office Assistant to provide administrative support to the front office. KAWSE works to enrich the lives of girls and women in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. The office serves as the home of the ADVANCE, SUCCEED, EXCITE and GROW programs.
- Experience in spreadsheet/table development and management: ability to research, enter and organize data.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and other software programs for creating informational documents (ie., flyers, newsletters, brochures, listservs).
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Experience working with diverse groups of people
- Experience in developing and managing multiple projects
- Program Events
- Create printed materials, such as brochures, nametags, check-in sheets, program booklets and more
- Organize supplies and assemble packets
- Attend program events
- Required attendance of GROW and EXCITE Summer Workshop: June 7-10, 2022.
- Public Relations
- Assist with donor relations
- Create press releases and other informational materials such as awardee lists, upcoming events, etc.
- Office Duties
- Organize office supplies and storage
- Campus deliveries
- Print and assemble documents, programs, booklets
- Make copies
- Create labels, nametags and signage
- Answer telephone
- Check mail
- Communicate with Program Coordinator and Administrative Assistant regularly
- Website and Social Media
- Maintain KAWSE Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- Take photographs and scan images
- Other duties as assigned by Program Coordinator
Wage: $9.00/hour Hours: Varying, 8-40/week Start date: April 25, 2022
Application: Complete the online application form (https://kstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bJfec233KbaEH1Y.)
Questions: Morgan Greene, Program Coordinator, 1011 Seaton Hall, email@example.com, 785-532-6088
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please contact Morgan Greene, KAWSE Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 785-532-6088 for additional information!