Travel Award Reimbursement Instructions
If you were awarded a GSC travel award, follow the instructions below to claim your reimbursement.
Did you receive funding from another unit at K-State?
Complete the GSC travel reimbursement form, and indicate that you received support from your department or college (you will not submit receipts to the GSC). We will work with your accounting specialist to process your reimbursement. The GSC will notify you if we need additional documentation from you.
No later than 10 business days after your last day of travel, submit the GSC travel reimbursement form and required documents (outlined below). If you are unable to meet this deadline, notify the GSC at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Graduate School at 785-532-6191.
If the GSC travel is your only source of funding support for this travel event:
Before submitting your reimbursement claim, read the information on Required Documentation and Reimbursable Expenses below. We also encourage you to read the Reimbursement section of the Travel Awards Frequently Asked Questions.
If the GSC travel award is your only source of funding, in the reimbursement form, you will be required to upload the following documentation for expenses you paid for with personal funds:
- W-9 form (pdf) (required)
- You only need to complete and submit the first page of the form. Make sure the form is signed and dated. The signature line is immediately above the "General Instructions" section.
- If you do not have a Social Security Number, send an email to email@example.com for more information.
- Proof of conference/event registration (required) - Proof of registration is required even if you do not wish to claim reimbursement for registration fees.
- Conference schedule/agenda (required)
- Original receipts for expenses you are claiming GSC reimbursement (required), see a list of reimbursable expenses below
- Receipts must show the amount paid, not just the amount charged.
- Receipts are not required for personal vehicle mileage and meals.
- Impact statement (required)
- Provide a 50-100 word description of the impact the event has had on your future research/scholarly work and career development. These comments are valuable for the promotion of KSU graduate student research and scholarship and the GSC travel award program.
- Event photos (optional)
- You are encouraged, but not required, to submit photos of yourself at the conference (ideally during your presentation, if giving one). Impact statements and photos may be used for marketing the GSC travel grant program.
ONLY the following expenses may be reimbursed with a GSC travel award.
- Conference/event registration
- Baggage fees
- Rental car and gas for rental car
- Parking fees
- Public transportation (e.g., taxi, shuttle, subway, bus, Lyft, Uber)
- Personal vehicle mileage (no receipts required, see state reimbursement rates)
- Meals (no receipts required, see state reimbursement rates)
Receiving your travel award reimbursement
Please allow up to six weeks to receive your travel award funds from the time you submit reimbursement materials.
If you have direct deposit established with K-State, your GSC travel award will be deposited to that same account. For example, if you are a GTA, GRA, or GA and receive your stipend payments in a bank account, or if you have received refunds from the Cashier's Office via direct deposit, your GSC travel award will be posted to that same account.
If you do not have direct deposit, the reimbursement will be sent in the form of a paper check to the address you provide on the W9 form.
Please direct questions regarding GSC travel awards to firstname.lastname@example.org.