1. K-State home
  2. »English
  3. »Courses
  4. »Permissions

Department of English

How to Get Permission to Enroll in Permission-Only Courses

Spring 2019

Enrollment for Spring 2019 begins Monday, October 22nd.

Permission slips will be issued starting Monday, October 15th at 8 a.m.

As a way of ensuring that students who need particular courses to graduate or to progress in their major have priority, the English Department manages enrollments in certain high-demand courses by permission only.

The following courses require permission available from the English Department's main office (ECS 108):

ENGL 310 "Introduction to Literary Study" (required of English majors and minors)
ENGL 355 "Literature for Children" (required of elementary education majors)
ENGL 417 "Written Communication for the Workplace"
ENGL 516 "Written Communication for the Sciences"
ENGL 661, 663, 665, 669, 761, 763, 765, and 771, Advanced Creative Writing Courses

Click here for information about how to enroll in ENGL 100, Expository Writing I for International Students, and ENGL 210, Honors English.

How to Enroll in Permission-Only Courses in English

1) Go to the English Department's Main Office in ECS 108 during office hours (M-F, 8:00AM-5:00PM).
2) Complete the "Request for Permission to Enroll" form.
3) Put the "Request for Permission to Enroll" form in the appropriate mailbox in ECS 119.
4) Receive e-mail confirmation that you have been given permission to enroll.
5) On your assigned enrollment date, use KSIS to enroll in the section for which you have been given permission.


  • Go early to get your first choice—even if you have a late enrollment date, you can still obtain permission for the section you want.
  • Even if you cannot enroll in your first choice, you can sign up to be on a waiting list.
  • The College of Education requires a college-level literature (not expository writing) class before taking ENGL 355.
  • If you are unable to sign up for ENGL 310 this semester, here are some courses you can take to progress towards your degree: Advising FAQs.

How to Enroll in ENGL 100, Expository Writing I for International Students
Obtain permission from Phillip Marzluf, Director of Expository Writing.

How to Enroll in ENGL 210, Honors English
Obtain permission from the Honors Program, Fairchild Hall, 215.