ACIC is a career development office established for students and operated by students. As you come to ACIC to explore majors and careers, it is likely a peer Career Specialist will assist in the process. Every spring semester, new career specialists are hired. If you are interested, see below for details.
Career Specialist Job Description
Career Specialists are undergraduate students trained as paraprofessionals to work in a peer counseling role assisting students individually in the career planning process. They guide students through career assessments and assist them in connecting career goals with academic programs at K-State.
Typically, there are 12-15 Career Specialists on staff. This team directly serves more than 1,500 K-State students annually and delivers a crucial service to the K-State community which supports both student retention and recruitment. Career Specialists must have strong helping and communication skills.
Career Specialists also facilitate Academic/Career Decisions, EDCEP 120, a one-credit hour career planning class. In addition, Career Specialists are responsible for coordinating and administering many ACIC programs and activities including outreach presentations and assisting with the annual Majors, Minors, and More Fair.
- Undergraduate student with a minimum of 30 credit hours completed by May 2014
- Satisfactory academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- A team worker with solid communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member; must display initiative
- Knowledge of computer operations and applications
- Willingness to facilitate career-planning classes
- Time commitment of at least 8 hours per week
- Starting salary: $7.25
- Average hours per week: 10-15
- Training to take place March/April 2014
- The position begins August 2014
- Must attend an orientation meeting to receive an application. Meetings are as follows:
- Tuesday, January 28th, 4:00pm
- Wednesday, January 29th, 4:00pm
- Thursday, January 30th, 4:00pm
All meetings take place in Holton Hall 14.
Please contact ACIC if you cannot attend any of the orientation meetings.
Submission of an Academic and Career Information Center Staff application and resume:
Application and Resume due Friday, February 7th by 4:00pm in Holton Hall 14
Final selection will be determined after a two round interview process:
First round intereviews for those selected will take place on Saturday, February 22nd