1. K-State home
  2. »Office of the Registrar
  3. »Transcripts
  4. »legend

Office of the Registrar

Office of the Registrar
118 Anderson Hall
919 Mid-Campus Drive North
Manhattan, KS 66506–0118



Office Hours:

8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m. (CST)

Transcript Legend


Kansas State University
118 Anderson Hall, Manhattan, Kansas 66506
2310 Centennial Rd, Salina, Kansas 67401


  • 1860 Bluemont Central College
  • 1863 Kansas State Agricultural College
  • 1931 Kansas State College of Agriculture & Applied Science
  • 1959 Kansas State University


Kansas State University (K-State) is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Accrediting Association of Colleges and Schools.


K-State operates on a semester calendar. Each semester is an academic term; however the unit of credit is the semester hour. Each semester hour represents the equivalent of one class period of 50 minutes in length for 16 weeks.


The GPA is a measure of scholastic performance. A GPA is obtained by dividing the number of grade points by the hours of work attempted, where an A = 4 points, a B = 3 points, a C = 2 points, a D = 1 point, and an F = 0 points. Only A,B,C,D and F are used in calculating grade point averages.


The total credits required for a bachelor’s degree varies by curriculum from 120 to 167 semester hours.


$ = work in progress


  • Academic Program = College
  • Academic Plan = Major/Minors
  • Academic Sub-Plan = Concentration within a plan
  • Term = Semester
  • Unit = Credit
  • Class = Section

SCHOLASTIC HONORS (Effective Fall 2006)

Degree candidates who have completed a minimum of 60 hours in residence, with at least 50 hours in graded courses, are considered for graduation with scholastic honors as follows:

  • Summa cum laude: 3.950–4.000 K-State grade point average.
  • Magna cum laude: 3.850–3.949 K-State grade point average.
  • Cum laude: 3.750–3.849 K-State grade point average.

Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree candidates are eligible to receive these honors based on courses completed in the professional program.


Students with at least 12 graded hours whose semester grade point average for a given semester is 3.75 or above will be awarded semester scholastic honors.


Most academic credits from accredited community colleges and universities are transferable. Up to one half of the hours required for a K-State baccalaureate degree can be taken at a two-year college. Official evaluation of transfer credit is part of the admissions procedure. Application of transfer credit toward degree requirements is determined by each college and major department.


For full disclosure of academic policies please refer to the K-State Catalog.
  1. A. Course Levels Key
    • 000–099: No credit toward degree requirements.
    • 100–299: Lower division undergraduate, designated as freshman–sophomore courses.
    • 300–499: Upper division undergraduate, designated as junior–senior courses.
    • 500–699: Upper division undergraduate, primarily for juniors and seniors, also eligible for graduate credit.
    • 700–799: Graduate and upper division, primarily for graduate level.
    • 800–899: Graduate and professional courses beyond the undergraduate level.
    • 900–999: Graduate level, primarily for doctoral students.
  2. B. Grading Policy
    • A = excellent work = 4 Points
    • B = good work = 3 Points
    • C = fair work = 2 Points
    • D = poor work = 1 Point
    • F = failure = 0 Points
    • I = incomplete = 0 Points
    • IX = unfinished incomplete, equivalent to F = 0 Points
    • P = grades of B, C, or D in course taken under the A/Pass/F grading option = 0 Points
    • CR = credit in courses for which no letter grade is given (non-graded courses) = 0 Points
    • NC = no credit in courses for which no letter grade is given (non-graded courses) = 0 Points
    • NR, NX = no grade reported = 0 Points
    • W, WP, WD = withdrawn
    • WF = withdrawn failing
    • XF = violation of Honor Code = 0 Points
    • AX, BX, CX = letter grades awarded for non-resident credit (not calculated into GPA)
  3. C. Incomplete (I)

    The grade of Incomplete (I) is given in regular courses (other than independent studies, research, and problems) upon the request of the student for personal emergencies that are verifiable. The faculty member has the responsibility to provide written notification to the student of the work required to remove the incomplete. The student has the responsibility to take the initiative in completing the work, and is expected to make up the incomplete during the first semester (enrolled) at the university after receiving the grade of I. If the student does not make up the incomplete during the first semester enrolled at the university after receiving it, then a grade may be given by the faculty member without further consultation with the student. If after the end of the first semester the I remains on the record, then it will be designated as F for record-keeping purposes and will be computed in the student’s GPA, weighted at 0 points per credit. A grade of NR will be treated in a like manner using the designation F.

  4. D. Academic Fresh Start (Effective Spring 1996) & Academic Forgiveness GPA Policies (Effective Fall 2008)

    The Academic Fresh Start and Academic Forgiveness Policies enable a student returning to K-State for a baccalaureate degree after an absence of three or more years to neutralize, in part, the grade impact of prior academic performance. Academic Fresh Start and Academic Forgiveness provide for the computation of an alternative GPA and for the use of that GPA in most academic situations. A student may apply only once, to only one or the other, and the process cannot be reversed. Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness deletes nothing from the student’s academic record. Grades earned before Academic Fresh Start or Academic Forgiveness will remain on the transcript along with the cumulative GPA for hours taken.

  5. E. Retake Policy

    Students may retake courses in order to improve grades. If a course is retaken, the original grade is noted as retaken and removed from the GPA. Retakes can be accomplished only by re-enrolling in and completing a resident K-State course. Courses originally taken on a letter grade basis may be retaken on an A/Pass/F grade option if appropriate, or if originally taken on an A/Pass/F basis may be retaken on a letter grade basis. The retake grade will always be used in the GPA computation regardless of whether it is higher or lower than the original grade. The original course remains on the academic record. Although there is no limit to the number of times a course may be retaken, a student may retake a course with subsequent removal of the prior grade calculation of the GPA only once for each course, and for a total of five courses during the student’s academic career at K-State. Any grades attained from retaking courses beyond these limitations will be used in calculating the grade point average. A retaken course will count only once toward meeting degree requirements. Courses taken before fall of 1986 will not be used in determining whether five courses have been retaken. Any course retaken after completion of a bachelor’s degree will not affect the credits or the GPA applied to that degree.

  6. F. Academic Warning & Dismissal (Effective Spring 1993)

    Students who earn less than a 2.00 K-State semester or K-State cumulative GPA will be placed on academic warning. Students are automatically taken off academic warning when the K-State cumulative GPA reaches the required level (2.00) in spring or fall end-of-semester grade posting. Students are dismissed if (1) they have been on academic warning the previous semester, (2) they have accumulated a total of 20 or more semester hours, and (3) their K-State cumulative GPA is below the following threshold values:

    • 20 to 29 hours — 1.50 GPA
    • 30 to 45 hours — 1.75 GPA
    • 46 to 60 hours — 1.80 GPA
    • 61 to 75 hours — 1.85 GPA
    • 76 to 90 hours — 1.90 GPA
    • 91 to 105 hours — 1.95 GPA
    • greater than 105 hours — 2.00 GPA

    Dismissed students must normally wait at least two semesters before being reinstated and are on academic warning at the time of readmission.

  7. G. Withdrawal from the University

    A student who withdraws from the university must have an official withdrawal permit from the appropriate dean. If a student withdraws during the first 25 days of a 16 week-semester (first 13 days of a six, seven, or eight week summer session), then no mark will be recorded on the student’s transcript. Thereafter, a mark of W is recorded; a course less than 16-weeks is prorated. The deadline for withdrawing is the end of the 10th week of the semester, or prorated.


Any inquiries should be directed to the University Registrar, Kansas State University, 118 Anderson Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506-0014, (785) 532-6254 Fax # (785) 532-5599, registrar@k-state.edu, or http://www.k-state.edu/registrar/.

K-State Powercat