Each unit includes:
- Full Score Analysis used for developing the teaching strategies. (Melodic, Harmonic, Rhythmic, Formal, Historical, & Cultural analysis)
- Teacher's Guide that provides strategies and activities:
- Detailed description of all activities in the student guide.
- Warm-up strategies that reflect the elements from the musical piece
- Resources: Recordings, books, articles, related compositions, web-sites that would aid in teaching this piece.
- Assessment of student learning with answers guides and/or grading rubrics and rubrics, rating scales, or check lists for assessing proficiency achievement
- Additional information on the piece that would be useful to the teacher-conductor.
- Student Guide providing your students with
- Learning goals
- Instructional guidance and activities for:
- Historical Background and cultural context: on the piece, composer, genre, style, making connection common with visual art.
- Rhythmic concepts involved in the composition
- Melodic movement and the relationship to other elements.
- Harmonic foundation and relationship to other elements.
- Form Analysis providing examples of overall form in graphic representation.
- Practice Guide: Rhythms, scale patterns, etc. extracted from the score that the student is to practice at home and that can be utilized in ensemble warm-up.
- Visual examples of interdisciplinary connections.
- Assessments for student understanding of the concepts and skill development.
- Glossary of necessary and useful terminology to understand the composition
- Webquests offering your students extended instruction of literature and musical concepts
|These units have been developed by students from various universities across the country
.We hope you will use these units in your teaching and encourage you to share this site with colleagues, future music students, and university music education programs.
Names of contributors
If you wish to contribute to this site:
contact Dr. Frederick Burrack at the email address below. Note the background information link above that describes the expectations (assignment) that supports the development of teaching units