Plant the Seeds: Grow a Music Teacher
Music Teacher Apprenticeship Model
The goal of the Music Teacher Apprenticeship Model is to incite student interest in pursuing the music teaching profession and develop well-rounded musicians who would be capable of successfully completing a degree in music education. The objectives is that each student involve in the program would:
- Meet advanced performance standards in one instrument or voice.
- Meet proficiency in music history and music theory as described by Advanced Placement exams.
- Be able to play piano at a late beginner or early intermediate level.
- Meet university entry-level proficiency for sight singing and interval singing.
- Have working knowledge of music technology including the use of music printing software; music sequencing; CD-ROM programs; and multimedia authoring such as Internet Web pages or Powerpoint.
- Have acquired beginning level teaching skills from tutoring other music students.
- Have acquired beginning level conducting skills from student directing experiences.
- Have experienced administrative tasks required of music teachers.