USCIS allows F-1 students to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week when school is in session. There is no immigration restriction on the number of hours a student is allowed to work during the summer and other breaks, such as spring break and winter break, however there may be K-State limitations. Please check with your department personnel specialist regarding your situation.
If you are seeking on-campus employment you will be required to apply for a Social Security Number.
In order to apply for a Social Security number you must:
- Be enrolled in a full course of study.
- Have been offered employment. The hiring department must complete the "Verification of Employment for Social Security". This letter must be printed out on departmental letterhead. The student then must bring that letter to International Student and Scholar Services for completion of the Verification of Employment Eligibility letter.
- Have your SEVIS record registered/validated prior to applying. ISSS will do this as quickly as possible after you have Checked-In with the office.
You will then take the following documents to the Social Security Administration to apply for your number.
- The Verification of Employment for Social Security letter from your hiring department
- The Verification of Employment Eligibility letter from ISSS
- Your passport and I-94 (paper form or electronic print-out)
- Your I-20
Most F-1 students studying at the college and university level can seek authorization for practical training to engage in temporary employment to gain practical experience directly related to their field of study.
- If you do not already have a social security number, you will be required to apply for one. Please ask your ISSS advisor for the procedure.
- There are two types of practical training:
- Attendance at an OPT Workshop (held every Monday at 3:30pm at the International Student Center; prior registration not required) is mandatory before an advisor can meet with you on an individual basis to answer specific questions about your current situation and OPT.