Who can be defined as a dependent?
F-2 dependents are defined as a spouse or an unmarried minor child (under 21 years of age) of an F-1 student.
How can I invite my dependents to the United States?
To invite your spouse or children to join you here in the U.S., please submit this completed Request for an I-20 form along with evidence of financial support (bank statement, sponsor letter, etc.) for yourself and your dependent(s). Go to the “Yearly Budgets" for the amount of money that will be needed. The ISSS will prepare a new I-20 for you and your dependents. Once your dependent(s) arrive(s) in the U.S., please bring their travel documents to the ISSS so we can make copies for our files.
Should my dependents attend the required International Student Orientation with me?
Your dependent does not need to attend the required International Student Orientation. However, International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) offers an orientation for dependent spouses during the Fall and Spring semesters. Dependents are encouraged to come to this orientation, but are not required to. This program will provide information about K-State and the Manhattan community as well as various activities in which dependents can participate. It will also give them an opportunity to get acquainted with the ISSS staff as well as other husbands and wives of international students and scholars. Please check with the ISSS Office for the specific dates/times/locations.
What programs are offered to my dependents at K-State?
Dependents of K-State students, faculty and visiting scholars are invited to all the ISSS programs and events (such as Coffee Hour), participate in the Basic Language Training(BLT) classes, and can sign up for an International Buddy. For more information on ISSS events go to Programs and Events Page (INSERT NEW LINK HERE!)
What is World Friendship?
World Friendship is a non-religious organization established for American and international women of Manhattan. This organization provides you with an opportunity to make new friends, improve your English, develop creative skills and share different cultures. There is childcare provided and non-crawling/walking babies are welcome with their mothers in the group. For more information on World Friendship, please email email@example.com
What other social opportunities are available to my dependents?
If you would like to socialize with people from your own country, contact your International Student Association. Another student group called, the International Coordination Council (http://www.k-state.edu/icc/)acts as a facilitator among all International Student Associations, and puts together events for international programs, such as International Week in April. You are encouraged to participate in those events as well as the monthly meetings.
What kind of cultural and community events can my dependents attend while I am at K-State?
- Art Exhibitions of Beach Museum (http://www.k-state.edu/bma/)
- Concerts and performances of McCain Auditorium (http://www.k-state.edu/mccain/)
- The Music Department also offers concerts free of charge throughout the semester. The schedule of events can be found at http://www.k-state.edu/music/.
- Manhattan Arts Center (http://www.manhattanarts.org/) also offers concerts and performances we well as arts and crafts classes.
- The UFM Community Learning Center is another choice for arts and crafts classes. They also offer wide variety of other classes from exercise to cooking. Visit their web site for a listing off all the classes they have to offer. http://www.k-state.edu/ufm/index.htm
- If you are interested in community activities, please go to websites City of Manhattan (http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/), Manhattan Public Library (http://www.manhattan.lib.ks.us/), and/or local newspaper Manhattan Mercury (http://www.themercury.com/) for more information. You can obtain flyers, leaflets, brochures, etc. if you visit Manhattan Public Library or the Manhattan Town Center.
Are there employment and study opportunities available to my dependents?
Employment opportunities are NOT available for F-2 dependents.
F-2 dependents are able to take classes for interest or to pursue a hobby, however they cannot take credits towards a degree program. If you would like to begin a degree program and become a full-time student at K-State, you will need to change your visa status to F-1. For additional information about changing your visa status please contact ISSS.
The UFM Community Learning Center offers a wide variety of classes from exercise to cooking and arts and crafts. Visit their web site for a listing off all the classes they have to offer. http://www.k-state.edu/ufm/index.htm
What activities are available to children of dependents?
- The City of Manhattan's Parks and Recreation Department offers a variety of classes and sports for children of all ages. Their web site is located at http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/ParksAndRec/.
- Manhattan has a wonderful zoo to visit. The zoo offers various activities for all ages. There are classes as well as volunteer opportunities. For more information go to http://www.ci.manhattan.ks.us/SunsetZoo/.
- The Manhattan Public Library offers reading programs for children as well as adults. Getting a library card is free and so are most of programs offered. At the library you can also borrow books, music and video media for free. The web address for the library is http://www.manhattan.lib.ks.us/
- As mentioned above, the Manhattan Arts Center as well as UFM also offer classes for children. Their web sites are listed above. Check them out.