RCR Training (includes Financial Conflict of Interest training)
Training requirements have recently changed!
Online training for Responsible Conduct of Research is now offered through the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) Program, and is mandatory for all K-state personnel involved in research activities.
Do not hesitate to contact URCO with any questions about the following registration process, at 532-3224 or email@example.com.
How to complete CITI training:
|Go to https://www.citiprogram.org/|
- Under "Create an account," choose "Register"
- Select "Kansas State University" for your Organization Affiliation.
- Enter your name and email address. Use your K-state email as your primary email address. Enter a secondary email address.
- Create your username and password (not case sensitive), then enter optional demographic information.
- CITI offers an option for learners to receive Continuing Education credits for a fee. If you are interested in paying for CE credits, select yes when asked, otherwise, select no.
- After completing all requested information on the next page (contact information, research role, eID, etc.), you will arrive at a page that asks about research activities.
- Answer Question 4: Responsible Conduct of Research (RCR).
- Checking this box will automatically enter you into the RCR course.
- When you click "Submit" you will be brought to your "Main Menu" which will contain your required courses under "Kansas State University Courses."
- Complete all required modules. Prior to each course, CITI will prompt you to answer whether you’d like to complete a pre-course assessment (optional), and an Integrity Assurance Statement (required).
- If you prefer a visual demonstration of these instructions, see CITI’s instructions for New Learner Account Registration: http://citiprogram.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/163300-how-do-i-enroll-in-a-citi-course-for-the-first-time-?b_id=2337
Previous users (if you have accessed CITI in "demo" mode, or have previously used CITI at another institution):
- Login with your username and password.
- Once you reach your "Main Menu," select, "Click here to affiliate with another institution," then choose "Kansas State University" for your Organization Affiliation.
- Follow steps 6 through 11 above.
Other (optional) training resources for Conflict of Interest:
In "The Lab: Avoiding Research Misconduct," you become the lead characters in an interactive movie and make decisions about integrity in research that can have long-term consequences. The simulation addresses Responsible Conduct of Research topics such as avoiding research misconduct, mentorship responsibilities, handling of data, responsible authorship, and questionable research practices. "In the simulation, research misconduct causes a noted lab to lose funding, creates bad publicity for the university, and eventually causes the withdrawal of a multi-million dollar endowment. Viewers will have the opportunity to undo the damage by assuming the roles of a graduate student, post doc, principal investigator, and a research integrity officer and make decisions to prevent misconduct from occurring unnoticed."