1. K-State home
  2. »Veteran Affairs
  3. »FAQs

Office of Veterans Affairs

Office of Veterans Affairs
Kansas State University
207 Anderson Hall
Manhattan, KS 66506-1110
785-532-6487 fax


How can I find out if I am eligible for Veteran educational benefits?

Call the VA Regional Office at 1-888-442-4551 or use the “Ask a Question” feature on the GI-Bill® Help Portal 

Which benefit would be best for me and how do I apply for it?

VA's Comparison tool

Apply for VA Educational Benefits at VA.gov

What is the current pay rate for my chapter?

Payment Rates

BAH Calculator Zip code of K-State: 66506; Pay Grade:E-5 with dependents. This amount is reflective of the full time rate, 100% eligibility. If enrolled less than full time and/or less than 100% eligible for your benefit, the amount will be prorated accordingly.

Are all degrees and certificates approved for VA benefits?

All degrees at K-State are approved for VA benefits. Therefore the VA will pay for any course that is required for your degree plan.  A list of VA approved degrees and certificates are available on the VA's website WEAMS.

Do I have to pay my T&F Bill on the first day of the term?

If you submit your certification request form before the first day of classes, the Veteran's Office will defer your due date from the first day of the semester to the middle of the semester. If you have charges other than T&F on your account such as a parking pass and/or athletic tickets, you will need to make a payment in the cashiers office specifically for those charges prior to the deferred due date.

I keep getting emails from the cashiers office regarding my balance. Do I need to contact anyone?

As long as a balance remains on your account you will continue to receive notices from the cashiers office. The VA pays about a week prior to the start of a term. Therefore if you have a late starting class, the T&F may remain on your account until the VA sends payment. If you are still receiving emails or have a balance on your account after mid semester and all classes have started, you should contact the Veterans Office to check on your enrollment certification to the VA.You will not be dropped from classes due to non payment. However, you may not be allowed to enroll in a future semester until the balance is paid.

How many hours do I need to enroll in to be a full time undergraduate?

Hours EnrolledWeeks in Term

The fall and spring semesters are 16 week terms. The VA pays according to each course's enrollment date. If you are enrolled in 9 hours for the entire 16 week semester, and also a 3 hr course for 8 weeks, you will receive the full time housing allowance while taking the 8 week course. For the period you are only in 9 hours, the VA will pay you 3/4 time (For a 16 week term, 9 hrs = 80% of the full timehousing allowance rate; 8 hrs= 70%).

Summer classes are no different. If you are intwo -3 credit hour courses that are 8 weeks long you will only get the full time housing allowance for the time the two classes over lap. If one begins after the other one ends, VA considers you at the half time rate. Note: The Post 9/11 GI Bill® Benefit only pays out a housing allowance for greater than half time enrollment.

What happens if I drop a class... or two... or more?

If you drop a class, expect to pay the VA back for the tuition and fees that were paid for that class. If you drop below full time, you may have a housing allowance debt to the VA as well.

The VA made a payment but why doI still owe a balance on my account.

Of course there could be many reasons for this, but many times it is due to a class (mini term) not starting until later in the semester. The VA sends payment to the school about a week prior to the start of a term.