May 4, 2023
Electrical and computer engineering students recognized for outstanding achievements
The Mike Wiegers Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering hosted its 10th annual awards banquet on May 2, celebrating the accomplishments of students, faculty and staff.
Two graduate student awards are presented each year. Faculty nominations are submitted to an awards committee for review and selection. Mohammad Abujubbeh received the award for outstanding graduate research assistant. Bala Natarajan is Abujubbeh's major professor. Mehmetcan Gursoy received the award for outstanding graduate teaching assistant. Behrooz Mirafzal is Gursoy's major professor.
The electrical and computer engineering department offers three academic programs: biomedical, computer and electrical engineering.
The biomedical engineering award recipients:
- Outstanding Senior Academic Achievement — Cross Allen, Cole Brumbaugh and David Chan.
- Outstanding Junior — Ethan McMillan.
- Outstanding Sophomore — Reed Podoll.
- Outstanding Freshman — Kimathi Isaiah Choma.
The computer engineering program recipients:
- Outstanding Senior Academic Achievement in Computer Engineering — John Eddy.
- Outstanding Junior in Computer Engineering — Aaron Sarkar.
- Outstanding Sophomore in Computer Engineering — Gabe Jonsson.
- Outstanding Freshman in Computer Engineering — Zane Zollers.
The electrical engineering program recipients:
- Outstanding Senior Academic Achievement in Electrical Engineering — Dane Thompson and Brianna Wagoner.
- Outstanding Junior in Electrical Engineering — Obi Oligbo.
- Outstanding Sophomore in Electrical Engineering — Colby Karnei.
- Outstanding Freshman in Electrical Engineering — Annalisa Ochner.
The programs combined to award the top seniors in leadership, service and research. The recipients:
- Outstanding Leadership — Alex Howard.
- Outstanding Service — Amber Lintz.
- Outstanding Research — Ben Madrigal.