March 11, 2021
A closer look at CASE awards: Creative work
The Council for Advancement and Support of Education, or CASE, recently announced its annual District VI awards for creative work. Among the 42 awards that Kansas State University received, six creative projects from the Division of Communications and Marketing were recognized in design, video and other creative categories.
The Kansas Healthy Food Initiative's Food First magazine received a grand gold, the highest award level, in the multipage publication design category. Grand gold awards are rare and recognize entries that are "extremely exceptional or game-changing."
The CASE award judges offered the following feedback on the six awards for creative projects.
1. Grand gold — Design of Food First magazine for the Kansas Healthy Food Initiative in the multipage publication category.
Judge feedback: "The Kansas Healthy Food Initiative Food First Magazine was stunning, with a plethora of gorgeous pictures! They stood out as very vibrant and colorful when paired with the more neutral text and informational section backgrounds. We enjoyed the profiles; they did a great job capturing those stories of rural life. Very descriptive, which also meant the piece had a lot of reading. There is some incredible talent within Kansas State with creator, editor, and photographer. The cover photo was well chosen and perfect for this piece. The magazine is on brand with school and Summit. Design was successful in creating an attractive and appealing piece that included a lot of copy and information in a manner that didn't negatively impact the rich imagery."
2. Gold — "We Speak Your Name" video, prepared for the K-State Alumni Association, in the general information long video category.
Judge feedback: "What a unique and inspiring video!"
3. Gold — Alumni Excellence Award to Marlin Fitzwater video, prepared for the K-State Alumni Association, in the general information long video category.
Judge feedback: "Wonderful! What a nice way to recognize outstanding alumni."
4. Silver — 2020 K-State Open House video in the general information short video category.
Judge feedback: "Very creative."
5. Bronze — T-shirt design for the College of Health and Human Sciences in the specialty pieces design category.
Judge feedback: "Great tag line and creative logo. It's catchy, looks nice, and reflective of their mission. Simple, strong message! The design successfully condenses the tagline into one logo/image."
6. Bronze — K-State gingerbread house video in the general information short video category.