March 24, 2020
The Kansas Legislature adjourned March 19. The Legislature plans, currently, to return on April 27 for the Veto Session. At this time, the Legislature will work on legislation and write and pass an Omnibus appropriations bill.
Prior to adjourning the Legislature passed a budget for fiscal years 2020 and 2021.
The Final Budget includes the following items for higher education and Kansas State:
- Add $11.9 million for block grant to Kansas Board of Regents for university operating costs.
- Add $2.5 million to the Comprehensive grant program and require a $1:1 match for the new funding.
Items deferred to the Omnibus Appropriations Bill:
- Consider adding $10 million for block grant to Kansas Board of Regents for university operating costs.
- Consider the Governor's Pay Plan, a 2.5% increase to salary.
- Consider adding $5 million for the Global Institute for Food, Health and Biosecurity at Kansas State University.
For information and questions regarding the 2020 Legislature, contact Sue Peterson at firstname.lastname@example.org, or the Office of Government Relations at email@example.com. Phones will be answered at 785-532-6227.