December 1, 2022
Fall update from Black Faculty and Staff Alliance
This fall, the K-State Black Faculty and Staff Alliance, the longest-standing affinity group at K-State, has focused on the goal of unifying K-State voices through collaboration with administrative partners. BFSA has carried out this goal by inviting special guests to monthly meetings. Overall, the immediate goal of BFSA, which is being carried out through our meetings, events, and community, is to retain and promote African American/Black faculty, staff and students at Kansas State University.
All meetings have been held in a hybrid status to allow for those not working on the K-State Manhattan campus to join. Below is an outline of this fall's BFSA happenings.
- Sept. 15 — Hosted a Welcome Back Social and its first meeting. This brought BFSA members back together for the 2022-2023 academic year. The event was hosted in the K-State Student Union with food and socializing.
- Oct. 20 — Hosted special guest Ben Wolfe, K-State Olathe CEO and president, for the October monthly meeting. Wolfe shared his vision for K-State Olathe and how BFSA can partner to further the goal of a more inclusive K-State.
- Nov. 17 — Hosted special guest Alysia Starkey, K-State Salina CEO and dean, for the November monthly meeting. Starkey spoke with the group about the strategic 10 steps that K-State Salina is working toward to grow the Salina campus. A dialogue between BFSA members and Starkey followed that highlighted ways in which BFSA and K-State Salina can partner for success and increased diversity on campus.
- Nov. 28 — The K-State Black Faculty and Staff Alliance Executive Board met with President Linton’s Strategic Planning Committee.
- Join BFSA on Dec. 6 for the BFSA December meeting hosting special guest President Richard Linton. The meeting will start at 11:30 a.m. President Linton will join at noon. This meeting will be in a hybrid format in 120 Morris Family Multicultural Student Center or via Zoom, ID: 989 0227 9004.
- BFSA will end the year with a Holiday Social from 4:30-5:30 p.m. on Dec. 15 in 204-205 Multicultural Student Center or via Zoom, ID: 991 6289 0439. Join us at this meeting and welcome Rana Johnson, the inaugural vice president for diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. Cake, refreshments and community will be available. This event is in partnership with the president's office.
I am honored to represent K-State BFSA as its leader and would like to thank BFSA for your confidence in me as chair. I am looking forward to a great 2023. Happy Holidays!
Zelia Z. Wiley, BFSA chair